The Sunshine Outfit

This outfit reminds me of the sunshine - bright and cheerful.  The top is Lekala 4629 and the skirt is the Bibi skirt from Tilly And The Buttons Stretch book.  Quick and easy was what I was going for.

Lekala 4629
I don't have a separate picture of my version of the Bibi skirt but I have included the sample Bibi skirt from the book.

Bibi Skirt picutre from Tilly And The Buttons Stretch Book

How I Did It - Bibi Skirt

I was going for something quick and simple and so chose Tilly and the Buttions Bibi skirt and Lekala 4629.  The yellow fabric is supposed to be a ponte knit but it looks more to me like a double knit.  I ordered this fabric from an online retailer that I had ordered from before but I was disappointed with this purchase.  I love love love the color but hate the quality of the fabric.  The strip is a knit I bought at my local Joann's store.

Quite honestly I thought this would be a muslin I could wear around the house because I hated the quality of the yellow so much.

I knew I would need to add some inches for my waist and hip area, but I don't remember how much I added since it has been at least a couple months since I made it.  From the pictures it looks like I added about 1/2" on each skirt side and waistband.  Normally I adjust the pattern but this time I just marked my fabric for the extra inches needed.







Next I sewed the solid to the stripped.  I really did want my strips going horizontal but I knew I would need the width stretch. Then I sewed the front to the back.



I tried the skirt on and needed to make an adjustment for my waist - it looks to be at least an inch total.



I believe I added the hem next.



Next I stitched the waistband together, folded it in half and attached it to the skirt.




Skirt completed.  I did notice some rippling on right side - I probably stretched it as I was sewing.  On the dress form it shows but after another good press it disappeared.



How I Did It - Lekala 4629

Again I wanted quick and simple.  I stitched the dart in both front pieces.



Sometimes I read and I over think things.  This pattern was so easy to put together but I made it particularly hard because I ready the instructions and they were different than a similar Lekala pattern I had just completed.  I had to step away for a couple weeks.  After I came back to it I followed the instructions and it worked.

With my last couple of Lekala purchases I have noticed the facings/waistbands have been too short.  This was no different and I figured out the difference was the seam allowance  and added it to the facing.  Thankfully I had enough fabric to re-cut it.  I have sent Lekala an email about this issue.


I attached the facing to one of the fronts.  The construction is different - at one point you are sewing the right side of the fabric of one piece to the wrong side of another piece.




I stitched the outer front to the back at the shoulder seam and then attached the inner front with the neck facing to the outer front and back.  I graded the neck seam allowance and stitched the seam to the facing and pressed.








I used some of the same striped fabric I used for the skirt for the bands.  They were folded in half and sewn to the sleeve and the bottom of the blouse.  Next I stitched the sides together.





The finished blouse.







The finished outfit.






Conclusion

This should have been a quick an easy outfit and for the most part it was.  I had to step away from the top for a couple weeks because I refused to follow the instructions but once I followed them the blouse went together quickly.

I wasn't thrill about this one but it was wearable.  To my pleasant surprise I got a complements on this one - go figure.

What's Next

I want to get a pair of wrap pants completed before the summer ends.  Only time will tell if that happens.

Lekala 4024


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch