A Jacket for All Season's - Even 90+ Degree Weather

Another birthday present - this time for Gabadoodle (my special name for her).

McCalls 7619

I am the slowest sewer in the world and less than 24 hours before her birthday party why did I think it was a good idea to make a lined jacket, embroider it, and have it ready to present to her at her birthday party? It was not a good idea but the reality was I needed to sew - sewing is my stress relief and I needed relief.

How I Did It

Some Background

Several days before I asked her mom what she liked and some of the things told to me were unicorns, camouflage jacket, and bugs.  Initially I told her mom I wouldn't have time to make a jacket (I really didn't).  When I went to 2 different fabric stores Friday evening, I had no idea what I was going to make.  I only knew it would have a unicorn and some kind of bugs embroidered on it.

I reluctantly decided on McCall's 7619.  I have more fabric than I know what to do with at home but I could not risk not having the "right" fabric (I still forgot to get ribbing).  The fabric I bought for this project was a teal twill and a multicolored cotton for the lining.

After washing the fabric I finally sat at my machine about midnight Saturday morning - her birthday party was at 3 pm Saturday.

Saturday at 3 pm I called the birthday girl and told her my dilemma.  I asked her would if she would prefer I not come to her birthday party so I could finish her jacket to give to her on Sunday or stop and come to the birthday party without a jacket.  She told me to finish the jacket 😀.

The Jacket Construction

I don't know if it was me or if there is an issue with the pockets.  I ended up having to redo the pockets and make the fold 6/8" rather than 5/8" so when I stitched the sides together it did not enclose the pocket opening.  The first time I stitched the sides the pocket opening got caught in seam.

After I got the pocket fixed I stitched the front to the back at the shoulders and sides.







I forgot to get ribbing while at the fabric store.  I did have some in my stash but not enough for this project.  I search through my big pieces of scraps an found some really good ponte knit that I bought years ago.  It is a deep rich purple color.

I embroidered the back using a design from Bunnycup's Be A Unicorn set.  I believe I went down about 5 or 6 inches from the neck (the top of the embroidery falls about midway on the armhole).  I put the bottom band on wrong.  I wasn't supposed to fold it half until after the lining was added.  No way was I going to rip out that seam.  I removed the stitches only at the front edge on both sides then I added the collar.







I added the zipper after cutting it to size only to realized that it was too short.  I didn't need to cut it at all.  Thankfully I had another in the right size in my stash.


I added more embroidery to the sleeve and the front using designs from Bunnycup's Swirly Butterflies.  The sleeve embroidery was supposed to be on the opposite sleeve for balance.  I even double checked for the right sleeve several times but still managed to sew it on the wrong sleeve (sleep deprivation).

I stitched the sleeve seam, attached the cuff, and attached the sleeves to the jacket.







I constructed the lining in the same fashion (without the cuffs) and attached it to the outer jacket.




More views of the completed jacket.






The birthday girl modeling her jacket.




Conclusion

Between Friday 5 am and Sunday 8 am I got about 2 to 3 hours of sleep.  Because I was so exhausted I spent more time ripping out seams than I did sewing them.  I had to push forward because I knew she was expecting her jacket on Sunday.

I reluctantly selected this pattern but I love the outcome.  I loved it so much that now I am looking for one similar in my size.

Her mom told me she has worn her jacket every day to school to show it off and subtly brag.  This past week has been in the 90's in this part of the world and her mom said every day when she picked her up from school she had on her jacket.  Mom tried to tell her not to wear it in the heat but to no avail!  Obviously mom doesn't understand this is a jacket for all seasons - even the hot summer season 😂.

She also told her mom she was going to tell her friends that I could make one for them 😲!

What's Next

McCall's 7729 - I have already started this pattern and have just about completed it.  The main issue I am having is with the sleeve on this jean jacket - I don't like the sleeves.  I am trying to decide if I want to remove them.





I also did a muslin for a pants pattern that I have had on hold for months now.  I finally got a muslin that fit my hip/butt area only to realized that there may be a problem with the pattern.  This pattern is going back on hold 😞.  I believe I know the issue and I think I know how to resolve it but am too disappointed right now to deal with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin