Lekala 7006 - Girls Jean Jacket

OMG I am in love with this jacket - so much so that if I could fit it my niece would never get it.  My stress level was out of control and I knew I needed to make my way to the sewing machine quickly.  I wanted to sew for me but I ended up making this jacket that was supposed to be done 5 months ago.

Lekala 7006
When I look at this jacket it gives me pure joy because of all the color in the embroidery.  I had to force myself to stop starring at it.  I had lot of fun making this jacket and with this project I tested out my new Janome HD9 Professional straight stitch only heavy duty machine (I will blog about it later) and it did not disappoint.

How I Did It

The embroidery designs are absolutely amazing.  I especially love the gradation in the flowers.  The letters and the colors - pure joy.  The flowers are from OESD Florals II by Laurel Burch and OESD Kaleidoscope Alphabet.

I did the embroidery first before putting the jacket together.  I used Janome's AcuSetter
 app to position my embroidery on the back yoke.  On the front yokes I just eyeballed it.









After the embroidery, I started the actual jacket construction.

The back.





The sleeve.



The front.

I am not really happy with the fake welt pockets because they are too narrow and I even shortened the seam allowance but it was not enough for my personal taste.  I considered removing them but decided to keep them.

This was also when I realized the pattern never called for any interfacing and this fake welt really needed it.  At this point I stopped, cut interfacing, and applied it to all the appropriate pieces that needed them which was the collar, pocket flaps, front bands, sleeve cuffs, and bottom waistband (and the welt).





Putting it all together.

I found a couple issues with the pattern.

  • The pattern did not call for interfacing and it is definitely needed.
  • The collar was about an inch wider than the neckline and I had to make an adjustment for that.
I always forget to add my self made labels, so this time after I realized the collar was already done I decided to add it to the waistband.





















Conclusion

Even with the mistakes I made - I love love love this make.  I had swore I would never use another Lekala pattern (that's another story), but here I am blogging about another Lekala pattern I have sewn.  This jacket gave me personal satisfaction and I hope my niece loves it as much as I do.

What's Next

I have several unfinished projects that will remain unfinished for the time being.  I have another project that is already late and I must get it done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman