A Beautiful Piece of Art Just for Me
In my last post I made a skirt for a young lady that I am teaching to sew. I was a pattern tester for the Flora Skirt by Daniela of On The Cutting Floor. Initially I did not make the skirt for me because I didn't think I liked it for me but after making it for her I knew I had to have one for me.
I won't go into as much detail as normal because I have already reviewed this once here. I will hi-lite the differences in this one.
How I did ItLately I have been in a denim sort of mood because I have been using denim almost exclusively. The denim I used for the main piece of the skirt is 11 or 12 ounces which is pretty heavy and in addition to the denim I used for the bottom pieces made the skirt a little more stiffer than I prefer. I am thinking after I wash it will soften even more. In any case I still love it.
As before I had to remove 7" from the length of the skirt so I altered both the main skirt and the bottom pieces of the skirt. I also needed to remove about an 1 1/4" from the waist (which I forgot to do).
|Altered Pattern Pieces|
|Before Couching with Yarn|
This was harder than I actually thought because of the grain and matching seams which I failed at both.
After cutting the pieces for the bottom of the skirt I realized the seams were not going to match. Before cutting I remembered that I would have to take that into consideration when cutting out the front pieces. Somewhere along the way I got distracted and forgot and did not have enough fabric to recut.
I was thinking about couching one of the pieces (the darker denim) with yarn but now it was no longer optional. I had to try and distract eyes from the fact that the seams did not match. Also the darker denim was so dark that I needed the yarn to lighten it up and help it to blend better with the other denim pieces.
|After Couching with Yarn|
Couching with this yarn was a bit difficult because the foot I had had a much bigger hole than the yarn so I had to go really really really slow. I also had to go back over some sections when I noticed the thread was not catching the yarn. When doing this I noticed it made a "knot" and I liked it so I started purposefully making the "knots".
I did the waistband like this on the other skirt but forgot to show it in the previous post. I did not turn under the seam allowance of the facing on the inside. Instead I serged the edges and stitched in the ditch on the right side of the fabric. Doing it this way ensures I am catching the facing on the wrong side.
What I did do different with this waist band was use a lighter piece of denim for the waistband facing interfaced with a light piece of interfacing. My denim was really heavy and I thought it would add too much bulk to the waistband area.
As before I used Sulky's 30 wt Cotton Blendables thread for my top stitching. I also serged the hem area with a decorative thread and cut off the seam allowance rather that turning under the seam allowance but this time I used Madeira's Decor thread.
I chose to leave off the pocket and the belt straps. I did not need the extra bulk of the straps adding to my waistline and the pocket drawing attention to my hip area.
ConclusionI absolutely love this skirt pattern. It allows you to do so many things with it. I love making it with denim because it gives it more structure and I need it because I am "hippy". Maybe one day I will try a different fabric when I make this skirt again but for right now I am stuck on denim.
I need to make one more adjustment to this skirt. In my excitement to get it finished somehow I forgot to take in the waist about 1 1/4".
The pictures below aren't that great but I believe they are good enough to show most of the detail.