My Epic Fail - Cashmerette Fuller Cardigan

Being a sewer allows me to chose patterns and make clothes that fit and look good on my silhouette.  Boy did I miss the mark on this one.  I won't do my normal post but will explain what I did wrong.

Cashmerette Fuller Cardigan View B


What Went Wrong

I knew I was taking a bit of a risk with this pattern because this pattern is designed to hit at the natural waist.  Why was it a risk - I am short and round. If it hit at just the right place - a few inches below my natural waist, I knew I could pull it off.

I normally shorten the length of my patterns, but I did not do that on this one.  I even laid the pattern on my body and thought the placement was right - I was soooooo wrong.  A muslin would have made the difference.

It hits at my natural waist and all I can say is I looked a hot mess when I put it on.  I was going to finish it by putting the buttonholes/buttons on, but I just can't look at it anymore - it's too painful.  Even more so because I just had a previous epic fail and wasted another piece of beautiful fabric.

I ordered a beautiful Luxury Plush Rib Sweater Knit in Cinnamon for this pattern and now I have wasted it.

What Would I Do Different

  • Make a muslin
  • Lengthen the bodice by 2" to 3"
  • Originally I shortened the sleeve 2" inches.  If I make it again I would only shorten the sleeve by 1".
  • Use non rib knit fabric
  • Not serge the neck and hem band area because it was too much bulk for my taste.

Some Construction Pictures 
















Conclusion

While this was an epic fail for me I still think it is a good pattern - you just need to ensure it falls at the right spot on your body if you make the cropped length version.

I think there is a bit too much bulk though and it may have to do with my fabric choice.

Will I make it again - maybe if I can get beyond to hurt of wasting good fabric.  I will put this make in the give away bin.

Comments

  1. I am sorry this was a failure for you. I like the look of this cardigan, particularly the shorter version. I saw some lovely thin rib cotton knit in a fabric shop and this pattern came to mind. However, it is quite expensive and I have never sewn knits of any sort. Your experience gives me pause for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let my experience stop you. Once thing that can cut down on the bulk is not serging and staggering the seam when trimming the seam allowance.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman