Easy Peezy

My last project frustrated me so I wanted something that was easy and required no modifications.  I found it in Simplicity 1318.  On PatternReview there are so many beautiful makes of this one.

I started this some weeks ago during the week and forgot about it because I have not been back to my sewing room.  I was getting ready to cut out a skirt or a dress or a shirt (hadn't made a final decision yet) and had to go in my sewing room for something and saw this UFO by my sewing machine.

There is a skirt that I want to make to go with this kimono jacket and did not want to post until I got both of them made but I was not able to start the skirt in time.  I wanted one final post before the new year.



How I Did It


I used a fabric from my stash (ya).  Although it is more of a spring/summer fabric I wanted to use what I had.  I believe it is some kind of rayon/cotton blend.

The only adjustment I made was to shorten the length 3 inches.  I wasn't concerned about the fit so much.  I knew it had a lot of ease and there was no closure so I knew it would "fit" no matter what.


Front and Back with Length Adjustment

Front with 3 inch Length Adjustment

Back with 3 inch Length Adjustment
There wasn't a whole lot to this pattern which is what makes it so easy.  For the most part just a bunch of straight lines.  My pictures show various stages in the sewing process.




The way the wanted you to do the underarm seem made it harder to line up the seems (imho) so I chose to make it one continuous seam.

Under Arm Seam
 Even with a curve sewing the hem was soooo easy.

Hem Before Being Turned In

Completed Hem




The pictures below show both the inside and outside of this kimono.  It actually looks better on me than on the dress form.






Inside Facing




Sleeve



Conclusion


I needed a sewing success - something that was easy and did not require modification (I did shorten the length).  This pattern gave me what I needed.  It was easy and extremely simply to make and I finished a UFO that I had forgotten about.

The one thing that I absolutely hated was the hand sewing - I don't do the best hand sewing because I try to rush through it and make big uneven stitches.  Even with my hand sewing I could not mess this one up.

I would like to make this in a heavier fabric - maybe a soft wool.  If I find the right fabric I will make another.  I will have to check my stash to see if I have something that would fit the bill.

Comments

  1. This turned out very nice! I understand how it feels good to make a successful garment after a wadder/fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman