Girls Rock

A woman at my church started a group for girls ages 5 to 18 called "Girls Rock" (Girls Rely On Christ the King).  Her goal is to help train these young ladies in different areas of life.  One of the components she wanted to teach was cooking and that is where I came in.  She wanted these young ladies to bake Christmas cookies to give out to church members and since I love to bake she asked for my assistance (as well as others) for the piece.

You know when cooking you must have an apron and a chefs hat (in my world).  We didn't have time to make the hats or aprons (I have made them before) so she bought the aprons and I stitched out the logo on them.

How I Did It


I would love to take credit for the design but I can't - the creator of the group came up with the design.  Here are some of the logos she played with.



I had to take her samples and try and digitize them so I could stitch them out on the aprons - 12 of them.  I loved the font with the flowers and knew I wanted to use it.

The internet is a beautiful thing.  It took me a bit but I did find a free font that resemble what she had so I downloaded it from Flower Power Font.  I also like the head silhouette but could not find the exact one she had so I found one that would work.



I used Creative Drawings 7.1 embroidery software to do the digitizing.  The software did most of the work for me but I had to add the applique and trace around the girls head to create the silhouette.  I am an amateur at digitizing and an amateur at using my software for anything other than bringing a design in and adding words to it.

When you digitize a design you are supposed to do a test stitch out first to ensure everything looks ok.  Of course I did not do that.  Once I stitched it out on the apron I saw it was a mess.  I had misspelled "Christ" as "Chrits" and the applique stitched did not catch the fabric.  The applique I fixed by going back over it with a zig zag stitch and the misspelling I left alone (only on this one) because most people won't notice it and I would have done too much damage to the fabric trying to remove the itty bitty stitches.

I used Wings Modular V5 (a part of Creative Drawings) to correct the applique and straighten out some of the stitches.  It still wasn't as good as I wanted but it was good enough for what I was doing.  Besides I had only a few days to get it done.

It took about an hour to stitch out each apron - yes an hour.  That lovely font I used and my limited skills as a digitizer.  I love how they came out though.










I used both Sulky and Robson Anton embroidery thread.  For the small stitching on the silhouette I used Sulky's 60wt embroidery thread and it turned out beautifully.

When I messed up real bad on one of the aprons I had to remove the stitches.  If you do embroidery you must buy Peggy's Stitch Eraser.  It is a life saver if you have to remove stitches.


Conclusion


I am happy with the way the aprons turned out and with my digitizing.  I still have a whole lot to learn about digitizing and my software but I know that will come with time.

We were supposed to do our baking yesterday but we had an ice storm and have had to reschedule.  Eventually we will get to use the aprons and eventually I will make some chefs hat to go with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman