Grommets & Rivets Starburst Bag by Sew4Home Versions 1 and 2

I thought I had already posted my first make of this bag, but evidently not.  When I saw this bag on the Sew4Home site I knew I had to make one.  The grommets and rivets in the starburst pattern is what captured my attention.

Version 1

Version 2

How I Did It

Again, the rivets and grommets is what did it for me.  Version 1 was made as a graduation gift for a friend.  The second version I chose to use embroidery as the focal point.  When I saw the multi-colored canvas fabric I knew I had the perfect embroidery designs that would go with it - Anita Goodesign's Peruvian Blooms.

On version 2 I had to recut most pieces for the lining because I attached the zipper pocket vertically instead of horizontally.  I also improvised for the plastic canvas because I was out.  The good thing about it is once I buy some it will be easy to replace with what I made.

  • Fabric

    • Version 1 - I used denim for the outer and a quilting cotton for the lining.
    • Version 2 - I used cork and canvas for the outer and a quilting cotton for the lining.

  • Pattern Adjustments

    • Version 1

      • Instead of regular rivets, I used rhinestone rivets.
      • I hand sewed the zipper assembly to the bag.
      • I added feet to the bottom of the bag.
      • I added interfacing to the lining for more stability.

    • Version 2

      •  On the zipper layout I realized that I did not make a mistake in cutting, but in fact the zipper assembly was too long (about 1/2") so I made the seam allowance 1/2" instead of 1/4".
      • I used an embroidery design as the focal point instead of grommets and rivets.
      • Because I knew I wanted to carry it as a handbag rather than a tote I also added a zipper pocket and a hook assembly to hold my car key fob.
      • I had planned to add a loop to hold my ink pen but I got tired and just wanted it done.
      • I added a zipper pull.
      • I added feet to the bottom of the bag.
      • I added interfacing to the lining for more stability.

  • Some Construction Pictures

    • Version 1











    • Version 2


































  • Some Finished Pictures

    • Version 1







    • Version 2








Conclusion

I absolutely love these bags.  They are both stylish and unique.  The zipper assembly was a nightmare to install for me - both times.  My fingers were hurting after installing all the grommets and rivets 😂. Still I will make at least one because because I also want one with the grommets and rivets (the first one was a gift).

What's Next

I have a StyleArc jacket and shirt already cut out waiting to be sewn.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin