Upside Down But Still Cute - Tilly And The Buttons Sweatshirt and Dress

I need to run from directional fabric.  No matter how many times I mess up, I quickly forget me and directional fabric don't get along 😀.  Every time I see a pretty directional fabric I order it, forgetting that I will cut it upside down.  I am going to keep hope alive.  One day I am going to remember to to lay the pattern pieces in the right direction.  

Lately I have been afraid to sew because I am in that "mess up" season in my sewing (see last post).  I had to force myself to sew - I needed to sew.  Sewing relieves my stress and gives me joy.  Even though I messed up - I still chose to have fun in my sewing.

The pockets were driving me crazy (my fault) and I started to get discouraged and start a different pattern.  The problem is I have sooooo many UFO's right now it is ridiculous.  

I had to have a talk with myself.  I had to tell myself the way the dress was made I would never use the pockets anyway and I gave myself permission to leave them off.  Once I made that decision it was joy from then on.

I actually laughed at myself when I realized the print was upside down.  For a tiny moment I thought I would give the dress away, then I came to my senses.  The print being upside down is my design feature and I will wear this dress proudly.

How I did It

  • Fabric

I absolutely love the fabric I used for the dress.  It is fun, it's feminine, and it is french terry.  It's not the greatest quality, but I still love it.  I will not name the company I purchase it from because it was my first and last time ordering from that company.

The fabric I used for the sweatshirt is also french terry.  This fabric came from one of my favorite fabric stores - StyleMaker Fabrics.

I used knit ribbing for the bands. 

  • Pattern Adjustments

I cut a 10.  After I made it (April 2021) I stuck it in a drawer and never looked at it again.  I wasn't thrilled with how it looked on me.  I took it out a couple days ago and decided it was fine so now it is hanging in my closet.

I really should have cut a 9 at the top and graded out to a 10 at the bottom - I will do it with the next make.

I also shortened the sleeves and length 2".  

For the dress I cut a 9 at the top and graded out to a 10 at the hip and waist and I love how it looks on me. 

I also shortened the sleeves and length 2", but on the next make I may only shorten 1".  The dress comes about an 1" or so above my knee and I would prefer it hit my knee.  

  • Some Construction Pictures









  • Some Finished Pictures













Conclusion

I realized I had such a hard time with the pockets because when I graded from a size 9 to 10, I cut away the pocket markings.  Anyway this was such and fun and easy pattern to sew.  Even though I had a major failure - oh wait that is a design feature 😀.

What's Next

I am hoping I muster the courage to finish at least one the UFO's I have sitting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman