StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

I have an Air Force jacket that I bought about 10 years ago.  It's roomy, comfortable, and ridiculously warm.  It has been my go to coat/jacket since I bought it.  It is now beginning to fall apart and I needed something to replace it.  When I saw StyleArc's Logan Shacket I thought it would be the perfect replacement.

Logan Shacket

What I Needed to Replace

How I Did It

  • Fabric

I saw this beautiful rich merlot corduroy and wanted to use it, but they were sold out of it at the time.  The weather was changing and I didn't want to wait for the fabric to be restocked.  So I chose a reversable quilted jersey knit instead.

It wasn't the color I wanted but I loved that it was quilted.  The pattern calls for a woven (non stretch), so I knew I was taking a risk by choosing a knit.

I knew I was in trouble, when I tried to stitch on the top pockets.  The fabric moved all over the place and I couldn't stitch a straight line if my life depended on it.  It was down hill after that.  A walking foot would have probably helped, but I didn't think about it until after I was finished.

My stitching was so horrible I wanted to put it aside and start on something new, but I forced myself to finish it because I already have too many UFO's.  I pushed thru and got it finished.

  • Adjustments
    • I cut an 18 at the neck and graded out to a 22 at the hip
    • I shortened the length 3"
    • I shortened the sleeves 3"
    • I had to play with the placement of the side pockets to keep them from peeking out below the hem.

  • Some Construction Pictures

The 1/4" seam allowance for the neck area and collar pieces were a nightmare with this fabric.  The thickness from the quilting did not help either.  The combination of fabric and stitch selection changed the back hemline to look more lithe that of a "swing" coat hemline.

 









Cover Stith Chain Stitch with 30wt Sulky Thread




Double Sided Fusible to Keep Hem in Place While Stitching


Didn't Want the Bulk of Quilting for the Pockets












  • Some Finished Pictures
























Conclusion

My initial thought after completing this was to put it in the give away pile, but then I wore it out one day.  This one stays with me.  The fabric is so soft and it is so comfortable to wear.  I love the styling of the back yoke and the "biggness" of this shacket.

The one thing I will change on the next one is the top pockets - they are too big.  I shortened the jacket, but one this pattern should have also shortened the pockets.

What's Next

Another Logan Shacket in a woven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin