Megan Nielsen's Protea Curve Review

I was given the opportunity to test the Protea Curve pattern and because of another project I only had a couple of days to left to sew it.  Being the slowest sewer in the world, I was stressing out because I did not know if I would have time to finish it.  This was such an easy sew - it was needless worry.

I love this dress on me - both versions.  Depending on what day it is and my mood, both versions are my favorite - just not on the same day😁.  Honestly I think this version would look good on any body type.

I get so many complements when I wear these dresses, particularly version 1. 

Version 1

Version 2 - The Bohemian

How I Did It

There were no surprises per say with this pattern.  I do PDF patterns almost exclusively so putting it together was easy.  Both are the C Version.

Because I was in a panic and I didn't think I had enough fabric I ran to my local JoAnn's and bought some 60" wide tencel I believe.  I ended up returning it because I realized I did have enough fabric - I just needed to use the crosswise grain.  Also I didn't really like the color of the tencel.

  • Fabric

    • Version 1 is an african wax that I ordered from Dovetailed in London.  When I purchased it I had no plan for it I just saw it and knew I had to have a piece.  I was a bit concerned because this fabric is a bit heavy and I wasn't sure I would get the "true" drape.  It turned out fine.
    • Version 2 (the bohemian) is also an african wax from Dovetailed.  I used 3 different fabrics for the top and 2 tiers - they were the same fabric just 3 different colorways.  Also had no plans for this fabric when I ordered it.  After making Version 1 I decided I needed to remove a bit of width to take out some fullness and shorten the length a bit more because of my height.

  • Pattern Adjustments

    • Version 1
      • Graded between size 22 and size 24 from the underarm down to waist
      • Shortened each skirt tier 1.5"
    • Version 2
      • Graded between size 22 and size 24 from underarm down to waist
      • Removed 1" from width on the waist and skirt tier
      • Shortened each skirt tier 3"

  • Some Construction Pictures





















  • Some Finished Pictures




















Conclusion

I am glad I had the opportunity to test this pattern - I love how I feel when I put it on.  It really is an easy, satisfying sew even for the slowest sewer in the world (me).  Because of the built in ease, you won't have to make many adjustments for a good fit.

I did not have enough of one fabric for version 2, but I had 3 different colorways and that worked out perfectly.

Another thing that I love about this pattern is she gives you different ideas to customize your dress and since I am the creative type that is a plus for me.  I am sure I will make this dress again sometime in the future.

What's Next

Cashmerette Ames Jeans and Harrison Shirt.  Also Helen's Closet put out a free dress pattern and I have it cut out but haven't had a chance to sew it up just yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman