Orchard Top & Dress by Helen's Closet

What can I say - it's a free pattern so I went for it.  I made the View D version.  Initially I was a bit hesitant because of the spaghetti straps (need the right bra) and I wasn't sure if it would hang too low on my chest (don't want to show any cleavage), but I was pleasantly surprised.

 

View D

I've been waiting on a strapless bra order to come, but since it looks like it's not coming any time soon, I decided to improvise and tuck my bra straps in so you can's see them just to get some pictures in this cute little dress.  

How I Did It

I wanted to get the optional strap hardware so I could make the straps adjustable, but I could not find anything at my local fabric store. To my surprise, the fit is just about perfect (need to add a smidge more width in the chest area) as is the strap length.  I did not need to make the straps adjustable 😁.

  • Fabric

    • My fabric has been in my stash somewhere around 10 - 15 years.  It is some kind of polyester or rayon blend I think.  I love the colors and they remind me of both summer and fall - the colors are why the fabric spoke to me.  I am really trying hard to use fabric in my ever expanding stash.

  • Pattern Adjustments

    • Blended between an 18 and 24ish from the armhole down to the hemline.  I mistakenly printed an 18 and 20 so had to add 2" at the side seam.
    • I shortened the length 3".
    • I do want to add a smidge more width in the chest area just for a teeny tiny bit of wiggle room.
    • I may take about 1/4" off the length of the strap.  At least one shoulder strap fell down a couple times.  I want to wear the dress and see how it does before I make this adjustment.

  • Some Construction Pictures

















  • Some Finished Pictures























Conclusion

I was pleasantly surprised with how this dress fit in the chest area no cleavage at all and the strap length is good.  I am almost tempted to make another version but I am not sure I will get to wear it before it gets too cold.  I am in love with this dress - so simple and chic.

The only tedious part was the spaghetti straps.  I will definitely be making this again - more than likely next summer.

What's Next

Have already started sewing the Cashmerette Harrison Shirt and have their Ames Jeans cut out and ready to sew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman