Favorite Overnight Duffle by Sew4Home

Love love love this overnight bag, but it is does take a bit more time to make.  The first one I made was a total disaster so instead of making 2, I ended up having to make 3.  Sew4Home never disappoints.

Favorite Overnight Duffle

My Personal Favorite

Now I want one for me.

How I did It

This has been one for the books.  The previous posts' wallet was to go with these overnight bags because I knew my nieces were taking a trip.  I got sick Thanksgiving day and am still trying to get over my illness.

I attempted to sew when I wasn't feeling good, trying to meet my Christmas deadline and that did not go well at all - first bag was a disaster.  Won't even waste time detailing all the issues - just know it is a disaster.  

Disaster Bag

I finally realized it was better to wait until I was completely healed.  Next I finally realized completely healed was coming no time soon (it has been 7 weeks now although I think I am finally at the tail end of my latest illness).

Finally, I decided to sew when I felt up to it and take a break when I needed it.  I just finished the last one this week - about 2 weeks late.  Even still they are not my best work but they are DONE!!!

In my haste to get these done I forget to do the name embroidery before the bag was assembled (like the disaster version).  I chose to embroider on some cotton twill tape and hand stitch it onto the bag after.

Not a whole lot of construction pictures because Sew4Home has the instructions here.

  • Fabric

    • Fabric for all bags are canvas/duck cloth (except orange base one- it was gifted to me) and the lining is quilting cotton.  I ended up having to purchase fabric for them from Hobby Lobby.

  • Adjustments (on last 2 bags)

    • Instructions called for gross grain ribbon for d-ring tabs, lanyard, and zipper pull, but I chose to use the exterior fabric for more stability.
    • I eliminated the zipper pull.
    • I attached pellon fusible shir-tailor interfacing to all the lining pieces.
    • I applied pellon fusible hair canvas and then fusible fleece to the exterior pieces.  Hair canvas gives the bag more structure.

  • Some Construction Pictures








  • Some Finished Pictures






















Conclusion

These bags take a bit more time because the lining is an underlining rather than a "true" lining and you add bias binding to cover the seam allowance.

I definitely recommend using a walking foot to keep the layers together - I didn't and it cost me more time.

I said I would not make another, however, I probably will make one more for myself.

What's Next

I still have one more Christmas post to catch up on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin