Not for Nap Time - July's Project Linus Blanket

Last month I realized I hadn't sewn anything for charity in a long time so I decided I would do a Project Linus baby blanket each month.  Today I completed July's blanket.



I made my great niece a blanket when she was a baby.  I always use bright colors because that's what I like.  Her mom told me to watch.  She put the baby on the blanket and the baby went wild moving all over.  She picked her up off the blanket and the baby was calm.  She put her back on the blanket and the baby went wild again.

It was then I realized the colors were extremely stimulating for her.  Now I give parents the warning - this blanket is not for nap time, it is for play time.

How I Did It

Everything came from my stash.  I knew I wanted to do embroidery and I knew I wanted to use applique to start to use up my out of control scraps bag.  I spent several hours looking at my embroidery designs trying to decide which ones to use.

I finally decided the million embroidery designs (small exaggeration) I already have were not enough and went to one of my favorite sites and ordered Cute Animal Faces Applique but the other set Childrens Bible I already had.  I used both in this blanket.

Whenever I do a baby blanket there never is a plan.  I just know I am going to do 9 squares no smaller than 5 1/2" and I make the rest up as I go along.  I wanted this quilt to have a dimensional effect so I used cuddle fleece as my applique fabric.  When embroidering on fleece you need to a topper and when using it as the applique fabric it takes a lot more time.


With Topper

With Topper


I really loved the "messiness" around this one and was going to leave it until I remembered this quilt is intended for a baby or small toddler and they could easily pull the "messiness" away and stick it in their mouth.


Below are all the embroidery blocks.






After embroidery was complete I decided to cut my squares down to 8 1/2" but forgot the saying measure twice, cut once.  The blank squares I accidentally cut 8 1/2" by 7 1/2".  Before I went into full fledged panic I remembered it was my quilt and I could do whatever I wanted.  I used some coordinating fabric to get it to the size I needed.

I stitched the blocks together to form the rows, then stitch the rows together.  Afterwards I added 2 different strips around it to make it bigger.









I added batting and a backing fabric.  I used basting spray and pins to hold the layers in place.





The very first quilt I made started falling apart after a couple of washings.  One of the reasons was I did not use quality quilt fabrics.  The other was I didn't "stitch in the ditch" to hold the seams together.  I completely forgot that baby items get washed quite frequently so they need the extra reinforcing at the seams.

I chose one of my stitches on my machine, Sulky Cotton Blendable 12wt thread,  and stitched in the ditch.  Finally I cut away the extra batting and fabric and added the binding.





















Quilt Back



Conclusion

This quilt was extremely easy to make but the embroidery took quite some time.  I do love the dimensional effect I get with using cuddle fleece.  I will drop this blanket off this week at my sewing machine dealer since they collect project linus blankets.

What's Next

I have a skirt that is already in the works and I have a top and pants pattern I am looking to get started on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman