Noodlehead Oxbow Tote

My sewjo still has not completely returned, so I am having to find ways to force myself to sew. I have a friend who is moving and I decide to make her the Oxbow Tote by Noodlehead as a parting gift.  I chose to make the "regular" version.  I call it the "happy tote" because with all the colors it just made me happy to look at it.


I thoroughly enjoyed making this bag - it was therapeutic for me.  After I made it, I wanted to keep it so bad 😂.  When I gave it to her I was hoping she didn't like it so I could keep it.

How I Did It

I am drowning in fabric and broke, but I wanted to buy fabric so bad for this project, but I refrained and forced myself used what I had in my stash.  All notions needed came from stash as well.

I don't have many construction pictures because the pattern designer has a sew along video that shows the detail.  I mainly focused on showing the handle and dealing with the leather.

  • Fabric

    • The outer fabric and fabric used for the strap (blue) came from Hobby Lobby.
    • The lining and top accent on the strap probably came from one of my quilts stores that I frequent.
    • The leather for the front outer pocket, the base, and the zipper tab came from some leather given to me.  The leather was balled up in a bag.  It has a lot of defects on the surface, so I cut the better parts that I could find.

  • Pattern Adjustments

    • The 1 1/2" straps called for cotton webbing which I did not have so I improvised.  Each time I make my own straps I always forget to add a seam allowance.  I had limited fabric that had already been stitched together to make the length that I needed and I didn't have enough to fix the issue.  I decided to use the lining fabric (which I had plenty of) as an accent to cover my mistake.  This is one time I was happy that I made this mistake.  To give them stability I had some fusible hair canvas to the straps.
    • I didn't have the Pellon SF101 needed for the base so I used 2 layers of the fusible hair canvas.

  • Some Construction Pictures










  • Some Finished Pictures















Conclusion 

I loved making this tote and eventually will make another for myself.  

This was the first time I had really worked with leather and found that fabric glue was my friend to manage it and to make sewing it much easier.

After I completed this tote I seriously considered keeping it for myself but ultimately I gave it to the intended person.

What's Next

Haven't a clue, but do which my sewjo would return 😞.

Comments

  1. Absolutely love this bag, the colors are perfect, specially the blue exterior fabric. As usual, a great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bag! Your friend is so lucky to get such a fabulous gift

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Stylearc's Eme Dress

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Stylearc Jara Knit Tunic

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2