Stylearc Jara Knit Tunic

 OMG - this pattern was an absolute joy to sew.


StyleArc Jara Knit Tunic


How I did It

I can't explain why I had fun sewing this tunic - I can only say I just did.  I remember saying to myself after completing it "this was so much fun".  It is feels amazing next to my skin.  

Every time I buy a directional fabric (something with letters or numbers) I always forget that I need to lay every piece in the same direction πŸ˜„.  The great thing about this fabric is it is so busy that unless you really look at it you will miss my "design" feature.

  • Fabric

    • I bought fabric specifically for this pattern.  I purchased Butterfly Letter Silhouette Sweatshirt Fleece from my at the moment favorite fabric store Style Maker Fabrics, but I no longer see it on their website.
    • I really love the fabric and I really love the pattern.  What drew me to the pattern was the pleat detail at the sleeve hemline and hipline.  This was one time fabric really mattered.  I never considered the fabric would hide the pleat detail that drew me to the pattern.  There is more - I bought two more prints to make this tunic😞.

  • Pattern Alterations/Adjustments

    • I shortened the length of the sleeves 3"
    • I shortened the length of the bodice 3"
    • When I shorten the bodice I did 1" above the waist and 2" below the waist.
    • I normally shorten both the front and back bodice in the same places

    • Sleeve Adjustments

      Sleeve Up Close

      Bodice Adjustment

      Bodice Up Close

  • Some Construction/Finished Pictures

    • You will notice in the pictures below I use a lot of knit stay tape - it prevents me from stretching the fabric
    • I typically use the stay tape on the neck, shoulder, hems, and any other area where I am going to be sewing seams together and potentially stretch the fabric
    • Knit stay tape has really saved me when sewing with knit fabric




























Conclusion

I loved sewing this tunic.  I am discovering my style is moving toward a more relaxed look/fit and this tunic fits right with this style.  The plan was to already have the pants made so I could model it, but I have been lazy lately.

What's Next

I have fabric for a couple more of this tunic and then on to the Brooklyn Knit Pants (I think).

Comments

  1. Love this top and your Brooklyn pants they look stunning together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josephine! I am kind of new to your blog. I found you in the comment section of Style Arc regarding the Jara top. I love your pictures and explanations, so much fun to read! Can you please help me with the Jara? I consider myself an 'experienced beginner', and sometimes I need specific instructions for new techniques. I have my top almost finished except for the pleats in the sleeves. I looked closely at your photo, and see that you sewed up around 2-21/2 inches parallel to the seam. Did you leave the stitching there, or did you pivot 90 degrees and continue to the fold? It looks like you didn't. To me it seems similar to the hip pleats, but a little different. I even tried samples on scrap fabric. I really appreciate any help you can offer me!! Thank you Josephine, and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left the stitching there. Hope that helps if not let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Love Notions Vivace Dolman #3

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium