Lekala 4646 - Easy Breezy Simpilicity

What drew me to this blouse was the sleeve.  I thought the sleeve was unique and I thought about how cool I would be on a hot summer day wearing this blouse.  These days I want to spend my time sewing - not fitting. I also want to turn out a garment rather quickly.  This 3 piece pattern fit the bill perfectly.

For the first version I purchased fabric specifically for this pattern.  My problem was the pattern calls for a low stretch knit and I mistakenly bought a super stretchy knit.  After making it I was not pleased with the results although it is wearable.
First Version - Wrong Knit Fabric

For the second version I used a  cotton fabric.  I felt much better about this one but still was not totally pleased until I wore it.
Second Version


How I Did It

Since I did 2 versions I will focus on what I did for the second one since I was more pleased with it.

I used a very thin cotton print that was in my stash - it was give to me.  I did not want to use "good" fabric since I wasn't quite sold on the top.  With the second version I decided to make a 1 inch sway back adjustment.  I always need this adjustment but I always forget to make it but not this time.
Back with Sway Back Adjustment

Sway Back - New Redrawn Back Neckline
I stitched the darts and then the right shoulder seam.


Front Neckline 

Front Bust Dart
Next was the neckline.  On the second sew of the top I remembered to do stay stitching on the neckline to prevent stretching in the neck area.  I cut 1 & 3/4 inch bias strips and sewed them together.  I folded it half  and attached it to the neckline.  On the first version of the top I turned the neck binding so it would show on the outside.

The second version I sew it according to the instructions.  On the first version I also graded the seams which made it impossible to remove once I realized the neckline doubled over because it was too loose (or stretched).

Bias Strips 
Bias Strips Pieced Together and Press in Half





Completed Neckline


First Version Neckline
And finally the sleeve.  The instructions had you turn under the edges.  I chose to do a serged rolled hem instead.

Sleeve with Rolled Hem

Close up of Rolled Hem

Conclusion

This pattern had only 3 pieces and was fairly easy to put together.  I will admit the first sew of this pattern it took me a while to figure out the sleeve.  After I figured it out I made more alignment marks on the sleeve pattern piece to make it easier for future makes.

The first version I use a fabric with too much stretch.  It is wearable but it is way too baggy because of the fabric.







The second version I did a sway back adjustment and was pleased with the results.  I wasn't pleased with my fabric choice until I wore it - I loved it and it looked good on.  I truly expected it to be a throw away.




What's Next

I have no idea I have been changing my mind way too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman