Wearable Muslin - Megan Nielsen Opal Curve View D

I wanted to try the shorts from the Opal Curve pattern since I had great success with views A and B.  It was getting hotter outside and I only had one pair of shorts and needed more.  I wanted a longer pair of shorts that would cover me but still allow me to look cute.  This pattern does that for me.



How I Did It

I was up about 36 hours straight by the time I finished sewing these shorts - I don't know why.  I fell asleep several times at my machine and one time woke and my machine was still stitching because I still had my foot on the pedal 😫😴. I made so many mistakes but my fabric hides them.

I knew I wanted embroidery on the back pockets but struggled with that decision because I suspected that would bring folks eyes right to my butt.  The embroidery won.  

The original plan was to have the embroidery horizontally symmetric, but since I was catatonic during my sewing it didn't turn out that way an now it's a design feature.

Fabric

I have a fabric stash but I never seem to have a fabric that I actually need or can use for a project.  It was the same with this pattern except I decided I would use what I had even if it was the wrong fabric type.  I bought the rose printed stretch denim some time ago and only had a small piece because that was all they had left.

The pattern calls for a woven fabric and I really wanted a light weight fabric that would flow but that ain't what I had.  I knew this was going to be a muslin because I was working with a stretch denim that was a bit stiff.  It turned out to be a wearable muslin.

The belt and back pockets were made out of some scrap denim I had from another project.

For the top stitching I used a Sulky 12wt Cotton thread.

Pattern Adjustments

I used a size 22 this time.  I made the following adjustments.
  • I lowered the front rise 1" (normal adjustment for me)
  • I raised the back rise 1" (normal adjustment for me)
  • I shortened the length 3" (normal adjustment for me) - not sure if I did this one.
  • Because this was stretch fabric I ended up having to remove an additional 5/8" from the back and front crotch area going towards the waist.

Some Construction/Finished Pictures
































Conclusion

What I truly love about these shorts is the length.  They cover me up while still keeping me cute!  I love that they have both side and back pockets and belt loops.  They are soooo comfortable to wear.  I made these some time ago and have worn them several times since then.  I was tickled pink that they turned out to be a wearable muslin.

What's Next

I am finishing up some jeans and hope to have them completed by this weekend and up on the blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Love Notions Vivace Dolman #3

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium