School Sewing - Tilly and the Buttons Olive Pinafore

My niece came to stay with me for a month and we spent 3 or 4 days shopping for school clothes.  So how is that at the 99th hour I am rushing trying to get a few items sewed before I take her back home?  I refused to purchase clothing with rips/tears, ridiculously short skirts, cropped tops, items that show every dimple and ripple on your body, and other colors besides black. I finally had enough told her we were done after she continued to pick up items I refused to buy.  We did find some things at the stores that were agreeable to both of us.

The 6am Face That's Used to Waking up Well After Noon

How I Did It

I used the Olive Pinafore pattern from Tilly and the Buttons "Make it Simple" book.  The only problem I had was attaching/turning the facing.  Without the video I would have never figured it out.  With the video it still took me about 10 times watching it over and over before it made sense to me.  It was frustrating initially.

  • Fabric

    • Army green twill canvas purchased for this project
    • Slate blue stretch corduroy purchased for this project- tossed in trash because no time to fix huge error I made
    • Brown stretch microsuede that's been in the stash for at least a decade (to replace corduroy)

  • Pattern Adjustments

    • Removed 1" from above the waist
    • Added 1" to length

  • Some Construction Pictures







    • Turning the Facing Front Side

      Turning the Facing Back Side

  • Some Finished Pictures










    • Dress Form to Big for Dress Size





Conclusion

If you have looked at my blog you know I mostly love bright vibrant colors, but my niece is the opposite.  It was no fun shopping for fabric with her - if she had her way everything would have been black.  Nor was it as much fun sewing for her because of her the dark color selection.

I do like this dress and may even make one for me eventually.  The dress is super simple and quick to sew, except for the facing (initially).

What's Next

Have another pair of  StyleArc Amanda Shorts  waiting to be hemmed.  I would like to make the StyleArc Emmerson dress next before summer is gone.  I have fabric that I bought for it that can only be worn on warm days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin