My Hiding Place

Life thru me a curve ball this week as it sometimes does.  When life throws a curve ball I have to run to my hiding place - the word of God and prayer.  Sometimes reading the word of God and prayer can be a struggle when you are confused, discouraged, and lose your focus.  During these times I have to bombard my mind with the word of God thru music and run to my secondary hiding place - sewing.

I am currently ahead of my one of my sewing goals.  I am working on February's sewing goal of making at least one clothing item for myself.  I went thru all of my patterns, sorted them, and then selected the ones I would sew for this year.

It is so hard not to buy new patterns and fabric but I am determined to use my current stash of patterns and fabrics.  For February I have selected Vogue 7762.  I bought this pattern years ago when I was much slimmer but am hoping it will still be flattering on me. 

How I Did It


As usual I have to make adjustments and this pattern was no exception.  What was a surprise was that I did not have to add to the waist.  I normally have to reduce the back length, add inches to the waist and hip, and shorten the length.  If there are sleeves I have to shorten the sleeve length also. 

I used Nancy Zieman's slide and pivot method to make fitting adjustments.


What I love most about this pattern is the sleeves on the middle view (C).


The sleeve is 2 pieces and I needed to shorten the length about 3 inches so I decided to split it between the 2 pieces shortening the length of each piece by 1 1/2 inches.  I decided not to use the slide and pivot method for this change because it was so difficult with the shape of the pieces.  Ultimately what I did was find the middle of the piece and drew a line 3/4 inches above and below it which covered the 1 1/2 inch adjustment I needed to make.  I then folded the bottom line up to the top line.


On the back I used the pivot and slide method to shorten the length and add inches to the hips.  I used the "shorten/lengthen" line printed on the pattern to shorten the back length between the shoulder and waist line.  I marked the adjustment and then folded up to the adjustment line from the "shorten/lengthen" line.


On the front I used the pivot and slide method to shorten the length and add inches to the hips.  I used the "shorten/lengthen" line printed on the pattern to shorten the front length between the shoulder and waist line.  I marked the adjustment and then folded up to the adjustment line from the "shorten/lengthen" line.  Normally you only add the hip adjustment to one side (the side seam) but since this was one piece instead of 2 pieces I had to add the hip adjustment to both sides.


This dress fits like a dream.  I used a heavy black ponte knit fabric.  To me the sleeves look costumy with this heavy dark fabric.  Next time I will use a lighter fabric at least for the sleeve.


Better view of sleeve.  I did have a bit of a problem sewing the 2 pieces of the sleeve together but I think it was me not the instructions. 


I was not totally pleased with the back.  I tend to stretch knit fabrics as I sew, so I was extra careful and added fusible interfacing on the zipper edge and that seemed to really help.  The knit does not lie flat enough for me for the zipper.  I did not want to get the iron too hot and put a shine on the fabric.  The other thing I do is never match up the top ends and I have never quite gotten the hang of properly sewing in a hook and eye.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch