Shorts/Pants Fitting Woes

My word for me this day, week, month, year...... comes from Matthew 11:28 which says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

For sometime now I have avoided making pants or shorts because I knew I would have to make other than my normal hip and waist adjustments.  I knew I would need to tackle the crotch fit.  Last summer I decided to tackle this task and got so frustrated and confused I gave up.  

I went back to the same pattern Butterick B6061 view B and again got frustrated.  Wait, I started frustrated just from the thought of having to tackle the adjustments.  I almost gave up again but I stuck with it and have a fairly decent pair of shorts to show for it.


Because I knew making the shorts adjustments would tax my patience I decided to sew them without any adjustments just for the pure joy of sewing and completing a garment.  I had some ugly fabric that someone had given me and that I did not mind "wasting" so I used it and completed a pair of shorts that I knew would not fit (I could put them on and zip them up but if I bent my body in any direction the seams would surely fail).



How I did It

I took my measurements, made the adjustments, and sewed a muslin.  I should have known something was wrong when according to my measurements as compared to the pattern I thought I needed to reduce the hip measurement by about 4".  

I tried on the muslin after I had sewed the front and back together and knew something was wrong.  The muslin was tighter than the original without any adjustments.  I wanted to cry and give up but I hung on.

I re-took my measurements and realized I had made a mistake.  I ended up adding 4.5" to the crotch, 3" to the hip, and removing 1" from the waist.  I used the book "Pattern Fitting with confidence" by Nancy Zieman to guide me on the adjustments.

I followed the pattern instructions for the most part.  My only deviations were made were at the hem and waist.  My edges were serged so I did not turn them under.  At the waist I "stitched in the ditch" to tack down the waist facing.  I also added interfacing to the zipper area for a bit more stability.

Interfaced Zipper Area

Stitch in the Ditch for Waistband Facing


I used Sulky 30wt Cotton Blendable thread for the top  stitching.

Top Stitching with Sulky Cotton Blendable Thread

I decided to add some embroidery to the front of my shorts.  The one thing I forgot to do was mirror image the design on one side of the shorts but it is an error that I can live with.  It is a built in design on my Janome 15000.


Conclusion

This pattern was quick and easy and the adjustments were pretty easy once I used the correct measurements.  The shorts are comfortable and they fit pretty good but I still need to "tweak" the adjustments and I will do it on the next pair that I make.

Wrong Side Frong

Wrong Side Back

Right Side Front

Right Side Back



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman