Lekala 4646 - I Conquered ITY

Me and ITY have been in a battle and I finally won - I sewed ITY knit without stretching it - I conquered ITY knit!

The pattern suggests a low stretch fabric and I bought fabric before I read the fabric recommendations. ITY stretches in every direction.  The first version with ITY wasn't bad but I knew it could be better.  For some reason I pull my fabric unconsciously and even with a walking foot I still managed to stretch my fabric - but not this time!

Lekala 4646

I had to make a conscious effort to let my machine feed the fabric since it does it so well.

How I Did It

This is the 4th sew of this pattern so I will only show differences.  You can find the last post here.  The first time I used an ITY knit I stretched the neckline and hemline and I tried to walk away because I had successfully made 2 other versions in a woven.

It bothered me that I was not as successful with the knit so I bought more ITY to make another (stash busting has gone by the way side).  I had an epiphany when I got to the neckline.

First, I remembered buying some knit stay tape over 5 years ago and I applied this to both the front and back neckline area.

Knit Stay Tape Applied to Neckline

Second I was ready to cut the bias binding strip for the neckline and it occurred to me that I did not need to cut it on the bias.  Cutting on the bias gives you some stretch in the fabric but since this fabric stretches in all directions it wasn't necessary to cut on the bias.

As I was hemming my top I realized I probably should have added a piece of knit stay tape to the hem area also.  I didn't and it was fine.  I am hoping it won't stretch over time.

Here are more pictures of the finished top.


Conclusion

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pattern.  It is wonderful for the triple digit weather we are having.  As much as I love it I have to move on.  There are so many other patterns that I want to try.

What's Next

I currently have 2 patterns already cut and ready for sewing.

Lekala 4053 
Lekala S3023




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

Love Notions Vivace Dolman