Mug Rug - Scrap Buster

I love other people's creativity because I get to copy it and make it my own.  

After I learned the difference between quilt cotton and good quality quilt cotton I have been buying good quality quilt cotton.  I have a couple of local quilt shops that carry really good fabric (not all quilt stores are created equal).

You typically pay more for quality fabric so I don't throw scraps away unless they are teeny tiny pieces.   As you can imagine I have collected quite the stash of scraps.  Thank you "the crafty quilter" for giving me a project that helps me to use up my scraps.

The month has been super busy for me and I haven't had time to devote to sewing so I have been having sewing withdrawal pains.  I started these mug rugs sometime ago and since I had limited sewing time I decided to finish them.

Mug Rug

How I Did It

I got this project from the crafty quilter.  The link takes you the Orange Peel Mug Rug project which has the instructions and pattern.

You cut and sew eight 1 7/8" squares together and then attached it to a 6" square.  I am a lazy sewer that avoids hand sewing with little time to sew.  So instead of adding "orange slice" applique pieces I chose to embroider.

Front of Mug Rug with Embroidery
For the inside I chose to use 1 piece of Insul-Bright and 1 piece of cotton batting.

Insul-Bright and Cotton Batting
Remember I said there was a time I did not know the difference between regular quilt cotton and good quality quilt cotton?  Well, this is a project where you and mix some of the "bad" stuff in with the good.  I bought a lot of "bad" fat quarters and have a few left that I use on "appropriate" projects.

I used some of the bad stuff for the backing.  I cut the fat quarter into 4 somewhat equal pieces to use for the back.  I cut it down to the right size before adding the binding.

Back of Mug Rugs
 I stitch in the ditch on the small squares which was a waste of thread since I ended up stippling on the small squares side (left side).

Stippling Added to Left Side (Small Squares)
The backing fabric wasn't wide enough on all four mug rugs to do a self facing so I used jelly roll strips to add binding for the finish edges.


I made a tag with instructions for the mug rug following the project instructions.  Today as I was looking for the URL for the project instructions I also found a pdf with the mug rug tags already done - I would  only need to print them out.  Her tag looks much better than mine.  I will use hers the next time.

Why a tag?  Most people have no idea what a mug rug is.

Mug Rugs with Instructions

Front Closeup
Back Closeup

Conclusion

When I started this project I had no particular person in mind.  After I made them I thought about my co-worker.  She just had to move her mom to a permanent care facility.  After thinking about her I asked her could I give these to her mom to help make her room more "homey".  She thought it was a wonderful idea so I "packaged" them up and gave them to her.

What's Next

I have been trying to finish a shorts jumpsuit which it is not going so well and a hand painted skirt which is stalled at the painting process.  I need to start on my winter wardrobe so I have no idea what will come next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

Love Notions Vivace Dolman