The Tranquility in Stitching a Straight Line

My life is crazy right now and during these times I run to my hiding place - sewing.  I can't explain it except to say there is something tranquil and peaceful about stitching straight lines.

Since it has been awhile since I have made a baby blanket I decided I would make one for Project Linus.  I also decided that I needed to start making one once a month for Project Linus.



How I Did It

Day 1

I had a Moda "Bee Creative"charm pack (5" x 5" squares) that I got from a class I took and thought it was perfect in the sense that it was pre-cut and the fabrics were already color coordinated.  The print and colors are not what I would normally use for a baby blanket.  I wasn't going for kid friendly I was going for peace and tranquility.  Future ones will be "kid" friendly.



I laid the squares in an arrangement that was suitable to me and stitched each square to form the columns.

I allowed myself about an hour to sew.  Once the columns were done I stopped.


Day2

I needed to add some brightness to this quilt so I went to my quilt stash and found a mustard yellow solid.  I cut 1 1/2" strips to place between each column.


I stitched each strip between 2 columns until all columns were stitched together to form 1 piece.



I stopped sewing after about an hour.

Day 3

Since I was "winging" it I decide that I needed to add 2 more  - 1 1/2" vertical strips and 2 - 3 1/2" horizontal strips to make the blanket more of a rectangle rather than a square.

Normally I embroider at least 5 squares with some kid friendly embroidery design but that was not my focus on this blanket.  Since I knew this was not "kid" fabric I decided to add a design to it that kinda of sort of made you think it was a kid blanket.

I have had this design since I bought my first embroidery machine many many many years ago and am really surprised that I found it (I am a collector of embroidery designs also).  I drew a line down the center of my horizontal strips and stitched it out.  I stitched 2 of the design on the top and 1 on the bottom.



I had a piece of fabric in my stash that I bought from my local craft store - this was before I knew about buying quality quilt fabric.  I decided to use it for the binding.  I searched my stash again and found something I could use for the backing.  I wasn't totally pleased with the color since it did not match my front as much as I would have like but I used it anyway.

I stopped after about 2 hours.

Top

Backing Fabric


Day 4

I was quite impressed with myself on this day because I knew the quilt would get finished.  What's even more impressive to me is that I did it in 1 to 2 hour daily increments.  I am normally an all nighter cram it in marathon kind of sewer.

I added 100% cotton batting, the top and backing to form my quilt layer and secured the layers with pins.  I stitched in the ditch with one of my quilting stitches on the vertical rows and used a different quilting stitch on the horizontal row.  I did this not only for decoration but also longevity.  After stitching in the ditch I trimmed off the excess batting and backing fabric.






Next I completed the quilt with the binding.







Finished quilt.






Conclusion

This was something I needed to do for peace and tranquility.  I had just finished a project where I had to embroider 100 handkerchiefs and needed some "relaxing" sewing and this fit the bill.

What's Next

I have already just about completed Lekala 4755 but am not quite pleased with it just yet.  I also have to start and complete Rosy Pena's Sophia Flares pants pattern this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

Love Notions Vivace Dolman