Fighting My Way Back

About 2 months ago I was involved in an accident and since then I have had no desire to do the 2 things that relax me bring me joy - sewing and baking.  I am still on the mend and have been waiting and waiting and waiting ......... for the desire to return.

I finally got tired of waiting and got to thinking about the Nike mantra "Just Do It".  So Sunday and Monday I just did it.  Sunday I had to force myself but by Monday the joy of sewing had started to  return.

I knew I needed something easy and quick since I was forcing myself to sew.  Lekala came to my rescue with a new t-shirt like pattern Lekala 4808.


Lekala 4808

How I Did It

I wanted some bamboo knit fabric which is quite pricey but I was determined to use my ever growing stash and I did.  I know both are a knit and the black feels like a cotton knit.  It is a heavier knit and I had just enough for this project.

The pattern had 4 pieces and the sewing order was as follows.

  1. Attach sleeve to front
  2. Attach sleeve to back
  3. Stitch sleeves and sides as one continuous seam
  4. Hem sleeves and bottom
It doesn't get any easier that that.

Sunday I did the black one and Monday I did the white one.  I had a yard and about 4" of the white sweater knit and initially thought I would lay the sleeve out on the crosswise grain until I realize it would not look good so I opted to shorten the sleeves 3" to have enough fabric.

Normally I do the slide of pivot method when I am adjusting my patterns but didn't want to take the time to do that.

One technique I used was sewing with a twin needle on the hems - don't know why I haven't used it before.

I did add one line of top stitching to hold down the seam in the collar. 

One Inch Lines Drawn on Sleeve Pattern in Preparation for Shortening

Sleeve Shortened 3 Inches



















Conclusion

This was the perfect pattern to "Just Do It".  It was quick and easy to sew not to mention it's a nice looking top.

My favorite is the white one and I hate white fabric (gets too dirty and hard to clean).  I like it the most because of the fabric.

What's Next

Who knows but what's on the radar are the following.

Lekala 4005

Lekala 4723

Comments

  1. I know this is years later, but your two tops look beautiful. Appreciate your review, because looking at the picture on the Lekala website, I would not be interested.
    I'm saving the link to this pattern, Thanks!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman