Sewer's Block Gone

Whew - I finished the dress.

Amazing what a difference a day and prayer makes (see September 12 post).  I started back on this dress again September 13, 2015 and because of other commitments I did not get to completed it until yesterday.  I re-read the instructions on the collar and yoke piece and realized I had missed a sentence and that made the difference.

I still struggled with collar only because I just didn't think it would not fit properly but after basting it onto the dress it did indeed fit.  The dress was quite easy but I struggled with this one for some reason.  I did put the collar on the wrong side but I will live with this design feature.

What's interesting is the fit.  It fits me but there is not a lot of design ease and I would prefer a bit more.  I made a skirt from a Lekala pattern and it fit perfectly with just the right amount of ease.

I loved this pattern but debated on buying it because I did not think I had the right shape for it (I am overly hippy).  I  think it looks ok on me but I am still wondering how often I will where it.  I will wear it at least once.

I paid a whopping $18 to have this pattern printed at my local print shop.    No way was I going to paste 42 letter size sheets of paper together.  I must buy my own wide format printer soon so I can reduce this cost.



How I Did It

I did not have to make any adjustments because this is Lekala pattern 4106.  You put your measurements in and you print a pattern in your size.  All I had to do was cut it out and start sewing.

My first design feature is the collar - I put it on the wrong side - it should be on the left side.  By the time I realized I had done this I had already put all the darts and belt loops on and I was too lazy to undo all that work and redo it on the right side.

I had to use different fabric for the collar because I did not have enough of my main fabric (denim).  The pattern piece for the collar is one large piece and I used a slightly stretch denim for it.  I actually used the wrong side of the fabric because I liked it better than the right side.

For the pocket lining I used some scrap fabric I had in my stash.

My button holes are much larger than my buttons.  Originally I was going to use buttons that required a 1 inch buttonhole but at the last minute I decided to use a smaller button.  Again I was to lazy to rip out the old button holes and sew in new ones that were the proper size.  I am willing to also live with this design feature.







For the belt I bought beige cotton belting (webbing).  I wanted purple but could not find the right color in the right width.  I decided I would cover it with some purple ribbon but again I could not find what I wanted.  They did have a beautiful purple ribbon/lace that would have been perfect but I was not willing to pay $9.99 per yard.

I ended up getting a mustard yellow ribbon that I found.  I applied Heat N Bond Ultra Hold to belt to give it more stability and then applied the ribbon on top of the Heat N Bond.  On each edge I stitched a straight stitch in purple with Sulky's 12wt cotton thread down each side of the length of the belt.  I bought a cute belt buckle and attached it.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin