Fabric Instead of Sewing Machine

Yesterday I was in a buying mood and knew to steer clear of any sewing machine dealer.  Had I gone to a dealer I would have come home with a brand new sewing machine.  I chose to buy something more reasonable - fabric.

I saw a tote the Sewing Patches Tote  on the sew4home site so I bought fabric to make it.

Sewing Patches Tote


How I Did It

I won't give my normal details since detailed instructions can be found on the sew4home website.  The project is called the Sewing Patches Tote.

The patches are free embroidery designs designed for 30wt Sulky thread.  Because of the thickness of the thread they suggest your embroidery speed be slowed downed.  Each design took over an hour to stitch out.  I only had a couple of solid color 30wt Sulky's threads but had plenty of 30wt Blendables so I used those.

I messed up my patches because I did not cut close enough to the stitching line so the edges of the felt is not covered completely with thread.  No way was I spending another 2 plus hours re-stitching the patches.  I decided it was a mistake I could live with.




Front Pocket

Front Pocket

Inside Pocket

Base Pattern

Lining Fabric 
Interfacing and Batting

Main Fabric

Felt for Patches


When I was cutting my lining I forgot "measure twice cut once".  I cut one of the main lining pieces 1/2" too short so I ended up cutting the other one to match.  The lining should have come very close to the final fold at the top of the bag but it was 1/2" short.

The instructions called for fusible fleece but I used batting because it was what I had on hand.
























Conclusion

This was really easy to put together and the instructions were well written with plenty of pictures.  The project came with free embroidery designs designed for 30wt Sulky thread.  Since I have lots of 30wt thread and I messed up the patches I will definitely be sewing this tote again.

What's Next

This will be a short work week so I am hoping to get some garment sewing done.  Not sure just what I will be sewing at this point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman