Sweatshirt Transformations

I have a friend who has a son in preschool that wanted a gift for his teachers.  After a bit of discussion we decided on sweatshirts.  Why?  Most people like them and are soooooo easy to transform.


Version 2

Version 1
Because they are teachers I knew the perfect embroidery to add - it was a couple of designs from the Dear Teacher set at Bunnycup Embroidery.  I had her go to the site and choose the designs she wanted.  The plan was to make 2 of the same except different color, embroidery, and name.  The first one took too much time so I made the second version because I knew it would be much easier transform.

How I Did It

I started with 2 fleece crewneck sweatshirts.  The books that I used as inspiration were Sewing with Nancy's "Sweatshirt Jean Jackets" for version 1 and Lorine Mason's "Fashion Sweatshirts" for version 2.

Version 1

I removed the bottom ribbing and an additional inch from the bottom and added knit stay tape.


I found the center of the sweatshirt, cut it down the front middle, and added more knit stay tape.



Now it was time to add the embroidery design from Bunnycup and a name.  I believe I came down about 6" from the neck edge.  During the embroidery I "floated" an additional piece of embroidery stabilizer at a 45 degree angle under the hoop.


I cut 4 strips of denim, pressed under  one raw edge, and stitched them to the center front.  I did essentially the same for the bottom of the sweatshirt and the collar.  I forgot to take a picture of the collar construction.  The collar was stitched ontop of the collar ribbing.









For the sleeves I cut a few inches slit and added the cuff in much the same way as the front and bottom bands.  I just realized I don't have picture of the cuff construction.



The final details included back tabs, top stitching, and buttonholes.  I used either a Sulky 12wt or 30wt cotton blendable thread in both the top and bobbin.






Inside of the sweatshirt was a rather large manufacturer's label and I contemplated just leaving it be but because it was so big and it was going to be given as a gift I needed a solution for covering it.  The easiest thing to cover it was to create a label but stitching it in wasn't an option so I used heavy heatbond to attached the label to the sweatshirts.

I don't include labels in the things I make and since I did not have any I had to make up one.  I chose to embroider my blog name on some scrap quilting cotton to create one.






Version 2


Originally this was supposed to be a replica of version 1 but I changed my mind after I saw how long it took me to finish the first version. 

I used a plate to create the curved shape and brought the drawn lines to a point in the center back and added knit stay tape to the edges.




To finish the edges I used a wide serger stitch and cotton thread from the Madeira Overlock Inspiration Box.



It took a minute but I finally finished them both.








Conclusion

These transformations are quick and easy (I'm a slow sewer) and make great gifts.  I think my favorite is version 2.  The sweatshirts were too small to fit on my dress form for decent pictures.

What's Next

I wanted to make pants from Lekala 4692 and I did but there is something off about the pattern and it has to do with the crotch length and the leg length.  I am still trying to decide if it should be tossed or if it is savable.  I have put it away for now.

I also expected to have my coat made by now (Lekala 4383) but the fabric I have fallen in love with is crazy expensive and no other fabric is acceptable to me right now.  I don't see a coat in my near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

Love Notions Vivace Dolman