I am Absolutely in Love with Lekala 4121

New year's sewing resolutions?  Nope, didn't fulfill last years.  I have been consistently sewing so I am pleased with that.

Lekala 4121


Today I am thankful.  There are some people who have the gift of sewing (God given talent that happens naturally).  I don't have that gift but I am thankful that the Lord has given me the ability to do a fairly decent job of sewing.  It is pure joy when I can make something for someone that touches them deeply or when I make something that captures the essence of conversation or something that was done.  God's word says to give thanks in all things.  Thank you Lord for the ability to sew.

After numerous days off and thinking I would get at least 5 or 6 garments made I finally managed to make 2.  I was busy resting and relaxing.

How I Did It

First the fabric - love love love it.  I bought it from Marcy Tilton Fabrics and its called Steel Blue Gray Pieced Cotton Ikat Woven.  Its 2 1/2 " strips of fabrics pieced together with sashiko type stitching running thru it.

The down side to this fabric is all the seams can get bulky and not lay as flat but it you place your pattern pieces properly you can avoid most of them.

I applied the interfacing to the appropriate pieces.  What was interesting was there no interfacing applied to the sleeve cuff.  I sewed all darts and pressed seams toward the center.

Front Darts

Back Darts

Interfaced Pieces

This blouse has a "formal" placket and I have only done the "fake" ones (rectangle piece of fabric).  I certainly didn't understand Lekala's instructions for the placket but to my surprise Lekala gave several youtube links to review if you needed help.  I spent several hours reviewing them and many many more.

I finally decided on one which they suggested.  I chose it because it appeared to be the easiest one to install and it truly was.  The one I chose was one from Angela Kane Part 1 and Part 2.  She also has a free placket template but you have to create an account to get it.

Top - Angela Kane Bottom - Lekala 









 The instructions have you adding pleats on the bottom edge of the sleeve then adding the cuff.  Initially I measured and evenly spaced the the pleats but it still didn't fit so I ended up free handing it.  The pleats still look fairly uniform.  The sleeve was attached to the front and back then the cuff was added.







Lastly the collar, underarm and side seems were sewn and the buttonholes and buttons were added.













Conclusion

I absolutely love this blouse - of all the ones I made last year this is my favorite.  I love the shaping of it and the bishop like sleeves.  When I bought the fabric I had no idea what I would do with it and when I saw this pattern I knew my fabric would fulfill its calling!

What's Next

I have one more post I need to get done - I am behind on my posting.  Both items were finished in December.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman