CHOP Founders Day

Two in a row - 2 memory quilts that is.

Each year we open our evangelistic season by celebrating Founder's Day with the Church House of Prayer (CHOP) in Oklahoma. Last year a fellow church member suggested we create a memory quilt for presentation this year.

I forgot about it until about a month ago when I was doing the previous memory quilt.  I requested pictures and after 2 weeks I figured I would not get them until after we arrived in Oklahoma.  Six days before I was to leave for Oklahoma I got the pictures.  I should have said I would get it done after we got back but I didn't.

It was 6 days of insane stress but by God's grace I got it done.

How I Did It

I am happy to say everything came from my stash - ya.  I was determined not to buy anything for this project.  Except for Sunday all work was done starting in the evening after I got off work.

Day 1 (Sunday)


  • I got the pictures that afternoon but did not have time to do much.
  • I prepared my fabric for printing the pictures by cutting my fabric into 8.5" x 11" pieces and soaking them in Bubble Jet Set 2000.  I allowed the pieces to dry for 24 hours.

Day 2 (Monday)

  • I reviewed all pictures and decided which ones I would use for the memorial.

Day 3 (Tuesday)

  • I reviewed information I received with pictures and decided on the sayings and words I would embroider.  I created the embroidery in my Hatch embroidery software.

Day 4 (Wednesday)

  • I cut squares about 8" knowing that I would trim them down to a 6.5" square.  Next I stitched out the designs and cut the 8" square down to 6.5"
Her Essence

Her Relationships

Her Favorite Scripture

Sayings She was Known for

Day 5 (Thursday)


  • I printed my pictures by ironing my prepared 8.5" x 11" pieces onto a piece a ink jet printable freezer paper.  I used Word to place and print my pictures.
  • I cut out the individual pictures and applied Heat Bond to the back of each picture. 
  • I cut squares of fabric about 8" and pressed the individual pictures onto the squares.  Then I used a decorative stitch to cover any printed cut lines and "white" space.
  • I cut the squares down to 6.5" and afterwards I cut and added a 1 1/2" border around each square with the finished border being 1".
Fabric Prepped for Printing

Prepped Fabric Ironed onto Freezer Paper








Day 6/7 (Friday & Saturday)


  • I decided the 1 1/2" border would make the memorial too big.  I knew my church was going to have it framed and the bigger the memorial the higher the cost of framing.  I decided a 1/2" finished border was better so I cut the "picture" border down so the finished border would be 1/2".
  • I cut and added 1/2" frame around the "word" squares.
  • I stitched the rows together.
  • Then I remembered I had more embroidery to do.  I believe I cut 3 1/2" horizontal strips and 2" vertical strips.  I embroidered on the 3 1/2" strips and added all the strips to the memorial to create a final border.
  • I cut batting and backing for the memorial and stitched in the ditch with a Sulky 30wt Cotton Blendable thread.  I forgot to take a picture of the back.
  • I cut 2 1/2" strips for the binding and attached the binding.  I stitched in the ditch using a decorative stitch and a Sulky 30wt Cotton Blendable thread.
  • Why put Day 6 and 7 together?  Because I did not sleep between these days.  I started Friday evening after work.  Friday turned into Saturday and I honestly did not think I would finish it.  Because I was suffering from sleep deprivation things that I do all the time in a small amount of time took about 4 times as long to do.  I had about 40 minutes after completing the memorial to bathe, get dress, and pack before I had to leave.

















Conclusion

This project was brutal only because of my lack of time.  Saturday morning I was completely exhausted and just about in tears because I too tired to figure things out.

Understand quilting type projects are something I do quite often but because I was exhausted things just kept going wrong and took much longer than normal complete.  I wasn't able to fix minor errors but most people either don't notice them or they just ignore them.





What's Next

I thought I had completed the robe (view A) for McCalls 6659 but as I was getting a picture of the pattern envelope I realized something did not look right on my robe.  I reviewed the instructions and learned I had done something wrong.  Now it makes since why I was having such a hard time with the facing band.  I will fix the error and post it.


My other project waiting in the queue is Lekala 4748.
Lekala 4748

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin