My Final Post of 2019 - Jean Jacket

In October I made my niece a jean jacket and love it so much that I wanted to make myself one similar to it.  I searched for jean jackets and decided on the Stacie Jean Jacket from Style Arc.  I really loved the shaping of this jacket and I love that Style Arc patterns fit me with minor adjustments.

So how did it go so horribly wrong to the point I was in tears and almost threw it in the trash?  It was all me and my mistakes.

Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket Front

Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket Back

How I Did It

The problems I experienced had nothing to do with the pattern - it was all me.  The first problem was the fabric.  It was a 10 or 11 oz denim that I got from my local fabric store.  I loved it in the store but once I pre-washed it (as I do with all my fabrics) I could tell the quality of the denim was horrible.  I have decided that I will start getting my clothing fabric from online resources.

Once I got over the disappointment of the fabric I got really excited again about sewing this jacket.  I wanted to stitch as much as possible before starting the top stitching.  I stitched the flaps, collar, the front sections, and the back sections together.

Front

Front Flaps and Collar

Back

Next I tackled the embroidery on the front and back yokes.  I used embroidery designs from Florals II by Laurel Burch and Kaleidoscope Alphabet.

Left Front Yoke

Right Front Yoke

Back Yoke
To do the top stitching I used my Janome HD9 and tried for the first time using the narrow foot for the top stitching and quickly realized I did not have as much control and stability as with the regular foot.  I decided to continue using it because I was determined to get control (I never did).

The next issue was the thread color.  I used a 12 wt Sulky Cotton Blendable thread.  Because of the color blend it looked liked there were thread breaks.  I decided to continue using it because I did not want to rip out top stitching. 

At this point I was getting frustrated but continued on.  I stitched the front yokes to the fronts and was ready to put on the front facings and realized the front facings were about 2.5" too short - that should have been my first clue that I had done something wrong since this was a Style Arc pattern but I pressed on.

I re-cut the front facings longer and stitched them on to the fronts.  When I got ready to put on the collar and it did not fit properly it finally hit me that maybe I had done something wrong.

Back


Right Front Yoke Stitched on Left Front

Left Front Yoke Stitched on Right Front

Of course at this point a lot of top stitching had already been done.  I realized I would have to remove a lot of top stitching, re-cut the yokes, the front bands, and redo the embroidery because if I tried to rip out the stitching it would fray beyond the stitch line (the seams had already been trimmed).  I'll admit tears started flowing - not a lot though😢.  I considered throwing it in the trash, but I just couldn't do it - I loved the style of the pattern.  I decided to walk away from it for a bit.

In the meantime I sewed a couple of charity projects (still have yet to post) but this jacket was always in the back of my mind.

I finally came back to it because I didn't want the year to end with another UFO (I still have one).  But by this time I just wanted it done - my heart was no longer in it.

I re-cut the front yokes, used the original front facings (glad I hadn't trashed them), re-embroidered the yokes, and redid the top stitching.






Next I added the collar, waistband, sleeves, buttonholes, and buttons.  I shortened the sleeves 2" (should have shortened them 3") and the place I chose to shorten them was the wrong place.  Trying to get the sleeve hemmed was a nightmare.  Again I considered trashing the jacket.

I had to keep telling myself to press on even though I knew my stitching was horrible and the jacket would not be "perfect".






See Puckers on Sleeve


Conclusion

I love the pattern but I hate my fabric and my sewing.  I made so many mistakes in my sewing.  My jacket is definitely wearable and I have already gotten compliments on it.

Initially I had decided I would not make another, but I want to use the "right" fabric and make another.

The jacket I made for my niece is some of the best sewing I have done and I found out recently that she does not like it so I am re-gifted it to someone who will wear it and appreciate it.  I was so disappointed I did so well on my nieces jacket and so poorly on mine.

Oh well, a new year is on the horizon and a new opportunity to improve my sewing.

Comments

  1. You are being too hard on yourself, the jacket looks fantastic! However, once you feel the fabric is not quite what you wanted or expected it is easy to become distracted and make little mistakes. Under normal circumstances, I guess you would never stitch a yoke piece to the other front and probably never will again.

    Sorry your niece doesn't like the jacket that must be disappointing too. All the best for 2020, make something completely different for yourself and get your mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right because everyone else sees the beauty of the jacket. My girlfriend kept telling me she wanted it and begged me to try it on. It fit her perfectly and the joy on her face when she had it on was just priceless. I called her about 20 minutes ago and told her she could have it - I will get joy and satisfaction seeing her enjoying it as she wears it. Now I have to make me another.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman