Newsboy Hat from Whitney Sews

I put myself on punishment because my house look like a tornado hit it - I had sewing items in every room in the house.  My punishment was I could not sew until I got things cleaned up.  I still need to mop one floor, but I wanted something quick and easy to sew.

Whitney Sews Newsboy Hat

How I Did It

I think I saw someone on Instagram with a pageboy hat and figured that would be a simple and quick project to sew.  I found a free pattern with video, but also added features from another site's pattern.

The free pattern came from Whitney Sews and it has a video showing you how to put it together.  I used this video to help with instructions and I used some of the features of EasyToSew's hat.

  • Fabric

Everything came from my stash - yay.  I used a 11.5 oz denim and a quilting cotton for the lining.

  • Pattern Alterations

I used a double band rather than a single band - I think the finish is much nicer with a double band.  

On the next one I will add piece of elastic in the back.  This one is about 1/4" to 1/2" too big.  

One thing I did do was create a smaller pattern piece from the brim because the pattern did not include one.  To do this I measured in 1/4" around the brim and traced and cut the smaller brim pattern piece.  I ended up trimming it to 1/8" so it would be be tacked down with the top stitching.

One note - the pattern instructions did not include some of the seam allowances, but by watching the video I was able to figure out it was a 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise noted.  

  • Some Construction/Finished Pictures

Used the Brim Pattern Piece to Create a Smaller Pattern Piece for the Insert (I Drew the Black Line on the Original Brim Pattern Piece)
























Conclusion

I really love how this hat turned out and it goes great with my jean jacket I make earlier this year.  Next time I make it I will use a piece of elastic in the back to get a tighter fit.

What's Next

I have about 4 UFO's that I need to complete.  Normally I start a project then finish it, but my focus has been all over the place lately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch