Only I Can Turn Super Simple Into Super Hard

I am the master of making the simple, hard.  The quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Company is like its name says - Super Simple Squares.




This was that project that broke me and made me want to give up.  But now that I am on the other side of it, I will not be defeated.  To that end, I am moving beyond my comfort zone of baby quilts and am going bigger.  I already have a quilt top that I just pieced together and it is 47 by 47.  I do plan to quilt it using my embroidery machine.

What Went Wrong

I printed the instructions, looked at them one time, and actually thought I had it memorized - NOT.  I ended up mistakenly adding about 9 additional strips in between the rows that made it even longer.

I should have known something was wrong when I had to sew more squares and did not have enough fabric for my borders.  Instead of checking the pattern I forged on, sewed more squares and made my borders smaller.

I added the backing, batting, and pins to keep everything in place and then it sat because I was overwhelmed by its size, knew it  was not like the pattern, and knew I would be fighting with fabric and a new machine trying to quilt it.  At one point I planned to give up and return my brother-in-law's money that he gave me to purchase fabric for this project to keep him from nagging me (it had only been 2 1/2 years since I purchased the fabric and I only missed 2 or 3 promises of when I said it would be done 😆).

After a couple of months I decided I would take quilt top apart and make it right (according to the pattern).  BIG mistake - it took forever to take it apart.

I finally finished pulling it apart and putting it back together the right way (according to the pattern) - NOT.  Believe it or not, I still managed to get an additional strip in between one of the rows😞.  I did not realize it until after I had put the borders back on - I thought I would blow a gasket.

Absolutely no way I was going to pull it apart again - I decided I would live with this mistake.  Why did I split the boarder between solid and stars?  Remember I bought the fabric about 2 1/2 years ago and could not find more star fabric.  I really did want the star border all around but had to make due with what I had.

Quilting it was a nightmare.  I chose a simple decorative stitch but I struggled trying to control the fabric.  The back is a mess, but the front doesn't look too bad.  By the end of quilting it, I finally realized what I needed to do to control the fabric and have much better success next time.

What I learned On This Project

  • I need to read and review pattern instructions frequently as I am progressing with my piecing.
  • I should use a machine that I am familiar with when stepping out of my comfort zone.
  • I must take my time and do a little sewing each day, week or month (whatever time is reasonable for me) when I am working on something outside my comfort zone.
  • I can't let my failure keep me from stepping out of my comfort zone.  
  • I have to learn to see my "failure" as an opportunity to grow and get it right the next time no matter how many "next times" it takes.
  • My "failure" is really not as bad as I think it is.
  • I need to make it a point to step outside my comfort zone so I continue to grow.

Pictures (the good and bad)
































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Stylearc's Eme Dress

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch