Sew4Home Sewing Escape Kansas City


I attended the Sew4Home Sewing Escape this weekend.  Sew4Home is one of my favorite sites to get projects so when I found out they would start doing the sewing escapes I was hoping they would come to KC.  Yay - they did this weekend.

From what I read on their site I knew the projects were geared for new sewers or sewers with little experience but they did allow for experience sewers also.  In any case I knew I would go once I found out they were coming to KC.  Since I go to their site at least once a week, love their projects, and love their instructions I wanted to support to them.

The Setup


The best part about this sewing weekend was you only had to bring yourself.  They provided everything including the sewing machines.  The sewing machines provided were the Janome  horizon memory craft 9400, horizon memory craft 8900 qcp se, horizon memory craft 8200 qcp, skyline S7, and the memory craft 500E embroidery only machine.  Everyone had a sewing machine to themselves and there were 2 people per embroidery machine.  I chose to use the memory craft 9400 since it is a machine I have been eyeing since it was introduced.

The other interesting thing about this sewing weekend was that even though we had a booklet with all the project sewing instructions, we never used them.  They walked us through all the instructions and did not want ua to move ahead.  It took some getting used to but I understood why they did it.  Since this class was designed for new/beginning sewers they wanted to ensure everyone completed their projects.

The first night (Friday) was a light night because it was only from 5 - 9 pm.  It was a mix and mingle plus we made our name tags.  They provided soft drinks and a vegetable tray I believe.



The second was the day (Saturday) we did most of the work.  They started the morning at 8 am with a continental breakfast and at 9 am we started with our first project - the teardrop tote.



They provided lunch (it was really good) and sometime that day we started on our second project - the monogrammed zipper pouch.  The instructors seemed to lose control of this session and it was a bit chaotic.  From what I observed it really was not their fault and they made the best of it.  We were supposed to finish the zipper pouch but we were not able to by the time the instructors regained control of the sewing session.  We wrapped up about 6 pm.





On Sunday, the third day we again started with a continental breakfast and start are sewing session at 9 am.  We completed the zipper pouch and then started on our pillows.  No one was able to complete their pillows because we ran out of time.  Most folk were able to complete the front.  I realized that my front was not square so I made the decision to complete mine at home - I did not want the stress.  Class wrapped up and noon.

When I got home I completed my pillow.  The instructions were easy to follow as I expected they would be.  To square up my pillow covering I had to cut it down about 3/4" shorter/narrower than it was supposed to be but the pillow still fit.  I also decided to use a 12 wt Sulky blendable to do my top stitching.  The dark purple lines you see are the markings I drew on for my top stitching.  They will disappear in a day or so.



Conclusion


This was an enjoyable weekend and I would highly recommend it to any sewer - even new sewers.  We got to use some nice machines, sew some neat projects, and came home with a few goodies (pictures below).  They also gave away a number of gifts.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman