Table Runner Miss

A few weeks ago I did my measurements, made pattern modifications based on those measurements, and cut and sewed a muslin (I almost cut out of my fashion fabric).  When I tried on the dress somehow it was about 3 inches too small in width.

I still don't know how that happen all I know is that I was soooooo disappointed and frustrated.  Fast forward to today - my table runner.  My idea was to get a sewing confidence booster by creating something simple and afterwards tackle the previous pattern again.

No sewing booster only more frustration and aggravation.  It really is a simple project but only I could take something so simple and turn it into a monster.

How I Did It


I got this project from the sew4home website and its called the Triangle Color Block Table Runner.  I chose this project because I had a charm pack that I wanted to use and because of its simplicity.

I used a charm pack call New Aged Muslin from Marcus Fabrics.  I decided to use my Best Press to stiffen the squares for easier sewing.  Big mistake - I should have just used my walking foot instead.

As I pressed with the Best Press it show just how uneven the squares really were (I will admit I could be using the Best Press for something it was never intended to do).


I decided I would square them back up later and moved on.  I lined up my colors and then sewed and cut my triangles.  



As you can see below I have "big" 1/4" seems.  I told myself my table runner would be smaller and moved on.


I got everything stitched together as shown below.  I already know what I laid out and how I sewed the colors together don't match.  I told myself it was fine and now it was time to add the batting, the backing, and top stitching.


I decided I wanted to do circles instead of my normal stippling.  I used some Sulky 12wt cotton in both top and bobbin.  I had never done circles before but I had saw a demo of it sometime ago.  How hard could it be?

After about 30 minutes of circles I realized it was harder than it looked and I decided to rip out the stitches.  That took about 2 hours (I took a break or 2).  I reminded myself this was supposed to be an easy sewing confidence booster and decided to stitch straight lines.  How hard could it be?

Instead of starting in the center I started on the edges and worked my way in towards the center.  Now I know why you start in the center and work your way out to the edges.  By the time I made it to the center the fabric in that section would not lay straight - I couldn't even press it straight.  Also, my seam lines were in a wave pattern instead of a straight line.

Since I know better frustration took over and I was ready to toss it in the trash.  Reason returned and I ripped out the straight lines (most of them).  I started in center and worked my way out.  I ended up cutting off more of my fabric trying to square things up.

Conclusion


This simple sewing confidence booster session turned into instead a confidence reducer.  I still ended up with a table runner although it is smaller and the straight lines are more of a slight wave.  I am not pleased with my result but at least it is finished.

After I finished it I wondered what I would do with it.  I am happy to say I have found a home for it - a friend wants it.



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman