Blouse - Lekala 4674

I love this blouse -  I love the look and wear of it and it was so easy to sew.  I made it several weeks ago and was hesitant about posting it.  Why?  I really messed this one up.  I forgot about a key adjustment I needed to make.  It had nothing to do with the pattern - it was all me.

I did press this blouse but it really wrinkled up when putting it on the dress form.

My Version of Lekala 4674

Lekala 4674

How I Did It

I bought a cotton print from my local fabric store and do love the print.  The pattern actually runs horizontally so I chose to cut it on the crosswise grain rather than the normal lengthwise grain.  I am wide enough and don't need a print to accentuate it.

One of my first and major mistakes was not making my usual 1" sway back adjustment.  I was so eager and excited to get started on this top I just simply forgot.  I just recently started making this adjustment and understand the difference it makes in the look and fit.

I have to make a mental note to myself that as soon as I cut out a pattern to immediately make my needed adjustment.

Because I cut this blouse on the crosswise grain I did not have enough fabric to cut the collar on the fold.  If I remember correctly, if I had cut this pattern piece out first I would have had enough fabric but I cut it last.  Instead of having one piece I had to cut 2 and add a 1/4" seam allowance.

The great thing about this mistake is that it doesn't look bad (imho)  - did the happy dance.


The final mistake was not adjusting the length of the collar ties.  I thought the blouse pattern front and back looked a little long but I didn't worry about it because I knew it would be an easy fix if I did not like the length.

I am not sure if the person entered my height wrong when generating the pattern or if the designer intended the blouse the be this long but it was too long for my taste so I shortened the length by 3" and I did this right before I hemmed it.

I did not noticed the problem until I wore it even though you can see it in the pictures.  When I was washing my hands in the bathroom the ends of the ties kept getting wet because when I bent over the sink they would fall in the sink.

It hit me around the second or third time I went to the bathroom - I had shortened the length of the blouse but forgot to shorten the length of the ties.

Forgot to Shorten Length of Ties

I didn't even realize this blouse had a zipper until I read the instructions saying to install an invisible zipper.  Quite honestly because of the top opening you really don't need the zipper unless you are going for a supper snug fit.

Wrong Side Invisible Zipper

Right Side Invisible Zipper
On the collar they had you turn under the raw edge and stitch in place.  Rather than do this I serged the raw edge and stitched in place leaving the raw edge exposed.

Collar Area Serged Raw Edge Exposed
Graded Seam Allowance to Reduce Bulk
The armholes were finished with a bias strip and the neck tie was held in place with a scrap of fabric.

Binding for Armholes

Neck Tie Holder
Below are pictures of the finished top.








Conclusion

I really love this top but I am not happy with my make because of the mistakes I made.  Now that fall is around the corner I probably will not make another until next year when the warmer weather returns.  I do wear this top and will continue to wear it even with the mistakes I made.

One interesting note about this pattern.  The front is one wide piece but you could cut the front on the fold.

What's Next

Lekala is finally adding more pants patterns - yay so pants will be my next adventure.  Of course I will need to make a top to go with it.  I am also wanting to make a coat but have not decided on a pattern just yet.

Lekala 4692

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman