I Took The Plunge - I Hand Painted My Skirt

I cut this skirt out and put the outlines of the geranium flowers on it at least 2 months ago but then I got scared that I had put too many of the flowers on the front and that I would mess it up with the painting since I am not an artist so I worked on other projects.

This was supposed to be a summer skirt that I would enjoy wearing throughout the summer.  I finally couldn't put it off any longer so I took the plunge.

Hand Painted Lekala S3023

How I Did It

Picture Note - not sure what has happened but I have a black/brown short line mark in some of my photos.

I had originally bought this fabric (Crossroads Denim) with the intention of making a jacket and then decided to use it for this skirt.

I found the picture of the geranium in one of my many sewing books that I have acquired over the years.  I printed the flower on paper and used a Sulky's Iron On Transfer Pen to trace around the flower and then repeatedly ironed the flower on to the front panel of my skirt.


Original Skirt Front Panel

Flower Traced with Sulky's Iron on Transfer Pen

Skirt After Flowers were Ironed on to Skirt Front Panel

After positioning the flowers on the skirt front I was ready for the terrifying part - actually painting the flowers.  I had made this skirt before with embroidered flowers on the front panel but that was easy.

I had convinced myself that since I was not an artist any attempts at painting would be a disaster.  After months of stalling, I was either going to waste the fabric or take a chance on painting - I chose to take the chance on painting.

I placed a piece of cardboard under my fabric to protect my table.  Next I used Fantasia Colour Pencils to outline the flowers and then used Jacquard Lumiere paint to fill in the outlined flowers.

Initially I wanted to uses 8 different colors for the flowers but realized I needed to limit the colors - I used 4 instead.  I decided to use different outline colors for variation.

Skirt Front Panel - Outlined Flower

Skirt Front Panel - Outlined Flower

Skirt Front Panel - Outlined Flower

Skirt Front Panel - Painted Flowers

Skirt Front Panel - Painted Flowers

Skirt Front Panel - Painted Flowers Completed

After the painting was completed I let the fabric dry 24 hours before heat setting it on the wrong side of the fabric.

Now I was ready to construct the skirt.  The only difference in this one and the previous one was I added top stitching.













Conclusion

I really love this skirt - it is easy to sew and looks good in the big girl size.  I am so glad I ignored my fear of messing up and painted the flowers.  I was extremely happy with the results.

What's Next

I want to make a shirt next before it is too cold to wear it.  I have plenty to choose from but I think I will make 4674.



Lekala 4674



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman