Final Goodbye

A sister in Christ mom died and had seen some memory hangings I had done previously and asked how much it would cost to have one done for her mom.  I told her I would do it no charge.  I made that commitment over a year ago and have finally completed it.

Memory Hanging

How I Did It

This one was more difficult because I have never met her mom and did not know her personally.  When I make memory my goal is to capture the essence of who the person was if I can.  I was not able to accomplish that with this one.

In the past I purchased the photo print fabric at the local fabric store but I hated the quality of the fabric.  So now I purchas quality quilting cotton from one of my quilting stores, cut it into "letter" size pieces, and treat it with Bubble Jet Set 2000 before printing the pictures.

I try to print the pictures the same size but I did not do that with the first two so that started the downhill fix it trend.

Pictures Immediately After Printing

Pictures Cut to Size with 1/4" Border

When I cut the pictures to size I leave a 1/4" edge around it and apply HeatnBond ultra hold because that is what I currently have on hand.  The lite version is better if you want to stitch thru the picture.  The ultra hold really gums up your needle. 

Since the pictures were not the same size I measured the longest and widest picture added 1" and cut out a piece of background fabric for each picture.  I embroidered the words on each background fabric and then applied the picture to the background fabric.




After the embroidery and applying the picture I applied the edge finish to each picture.  For the main picture I cut the edge to about 1/8".  Then I applied Kreinik Iron-On Thread to the edge.  Because her mom was married I also applied it to a picture of both her mom and dad.

Kreinik Iron-On Thread Applied

Kreinik Iron-On Thread Applied
On the rest of the pictures I decided to apply a decorative stitch around the edge.  I call it the "grass" stitch because it reminds me of grass.





The extra 1" I added to each edge of the background fabric was added so I could square of each block and ensure they were the same size.  On one block it seemed I could not stop cutting and hence not all the blocks were the same size.

I laid out all the pieces on my cutting mat in an attempt to figure out how to pull it all together.  I added other pieces of fabrics to make 12" squares except I forgot the saying "Cut once, measure twice".  I cut at least one of the squares too small, so I "winged" it the best way I could - no way was I starting over.





I normally add a border around the whole project after the blocks are stitched together.  On the top and bottom pieces is where I add the persons name and their birth/death date.  I realized this project is much bigger than I want so adding a border is out.  I had to add this information to two blank blocks pieces in the project.




I added batting and backing fabric to the project.  I forgot to take a picture of the back of the project.  The backing fabric is the same as the 1" strips in the project.


After adding decorative "tacking" with Sulky 30wt Cotton Blendables, I added the binding to complete the project.  I usually take the project and have it put in a customized picture frame to protect it but I can no longer afford to do that on my dime. 













The completed project.







Conclusion

This was my last uncompleted commitment and now it is done - ya.  I am satisfied with this project even though it has some "design" features. 

I can now spend time selfishly sewing for ME.  I have decided that the next time someone ask me how much it cost - I will give them my price.  It takes quite a bit of time to complete these projects  and I use quality materials that cost.  I can no longer afford not to charge for these types of projects.

What's Next

I already have this pattern printed and taped together.

By the way, I found wonderful instructions for assembling a pattern faster.  It truly is faster and I will use this method going forward until a faster method come along.

I got this method from another blog (I think it was Tilly And The Buttons).  Any way they pointed to Itch to Stitch which pointed to  Schnittmuster's video.

Lekala 4748 is next on the list.  I am really hoping I can get i cut out and completed this weekend.  I am hungry for sewing for ME.

Lekala 4748

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman