I Don't Sew for Others but How Could I Say No - McCalls 6659

God gave me the ability to sew fairly well. I make gifts like baby blankets, purses, backpacks, etc. for others but I only sew garments for myself.

Mamma Versie
Over the years I have realized God gave me the ability to sew so I could be a blessing to others when needed.  My sister in Christ had a need.  Her sister and mom were in a fatal accident (her sister passed away).  Her mom is in a rehab facility and needed some pants when doing her therapy.  She doesn't normally wear pants and needed some in a hurry.  Did I mentioned that I am one of the slowest sewers in the world and that I don't sew for others?  How could I say no.

How I Did It

To say I was stressed is an understatement.  I was in tears and ready to accept defeat when I realized I did not have enough fabric the store had no more.  When I sew for myself I allow for design features (minor sewing mistakes) but when I sew for others I want absolute perfection hence the stress.

Because of a prior medical condition any pants her family bought were too tight and ended up with a a split along the waist line so she could wear them comfortably.  I went to the rehab facility to take her measurements but because of her injuries I did not want to inflict any additional pain.

I took the waist measurement from a pair of pants that had been sliced at the waistband with a drawstring running thru it (she was not wearing them at the time).  I took the measurement of the inseam but didn't feel comfortable using it because I did not know how long they were on her.  I asked her daughter what clothing size she normally wore and how tall she was - was told a size 18 and 5'6".

I learned some time ago that you generally need to go up 2 sizes larger than your retail size for patterns and that patterns are made for a height of 5'6".  That meant I needed size 22 and no length adjustments but because of the concern of being too tight around the waist I cut a size 24 for the pants and size 22 around the neck and armhole but a 24 at the sides for the top.

The pattern called for a "silky" type fabric but she needed something that was going to keep her warm so I purchased flannel for this project.

Since I am way behind in my posting and I don't want to rehearse the pain of this project I will just add the pictures so I can get to the conclusion.

Pain Points (my doing)

  • I ran out of fabric and at least 2 of the pieces are cut on the crosswise grain.  I know better but I was desperately trying to make the fabric work and in the end I had to buy more fabric.  Did I mentioned they did not have anymore of the same color.  I had to buy a different color but at least it was the same kind of fabric and brand.  This was when I as my breaking point and reduced to tears.  I was ready to give up - I did have to walk away and come back to it the next day.
  • I struggle with the piping placement but by the time I made it to the collar I figured out that if I put it 6/8" from the edge (had a 5/8" seam allowance) it worked out perfect.  I skipped the piping on the front of the shirt - I just wanted to be done.
  • When cutting elastic I always forget to cut it about an inch smaller than the waist.  I ended up removing about an additional 10" from the elastic.




























I fixed this dart after I took the picture






Facing should be covering the shoulder seam





Ran out of fabric - hence the blue sleeves









One thing strange about the instructions was they had you leave an opening in the casing.  The problem was there was no need to do this since you threaded the elastic thru the buttonhole opening in the front of the pants.

The initial plan was to make this first one and see how it fit and then make some more sets.  The price of the fabric and notions with 50% or 60% off of everything was about $28.  This was not cost effective for what was needed and I knew I wouldn't survive another sewing session sewing a garment item for someone else.

I got on wally worlds site and ordered 5 sweatshirts and 5 sweatpants for $50.  I did have to alter the sweatshirts by cutting them down the middle in the front and adding buttons to them.  Again because of her injuries pulling the sweatshirt over her head was not an option.

I also had to add a drawstring to each pair of pants because they would not stay up without one.  I had some pre-cut binding strips (2 1/2" by 44")  and used about 1 1/2 strips per drawstring.  I double folded them and stitched the opening.

I cut 2 1/2" slits in the front about an inch apart and threaded the drawstring thru it.  It wasn't pretty or professional but it got the job done.

Conclusion

This pattern was so easy, however, from my perspective this pajama set was a hot mess (my sewing) but I was humbled by Mamma Versie's gratefulness.  It was so opposite of the entitlement society we live in now.  She loved it and have adopted me as her play daughter.  Tears came to her eyes when she was trying to explain how thankful she was for the set.

I was so worried about it being perfect (it was far from it) and was ready to throw it in the trash.  God definitely doesn't require me to be perfect (because that is impossible) and neither did Mamma Versie.  What was needed was for me to submit myself to meeting a need and I did accomplish that.

What's Next

I have one more project that I promised someone over a year ago.  I will get that done and will not agree to any other projects for others except for projects like Mamma Versie's even though I know it will stress me out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman