New Look 6505

Big Foot (my niece) came for a visit earlier this month. The plan was to get all the clothes made and take pictures of her in them -well that just didn't happen - I barely got her measurements before she left.  The fit won't be as good as I would like but it will fit about as good as store bought clothing.

New Look 6505
This was the final garment I made - I gave up on the others (jean jacket, pair of jeans,  and 3 additional tops).  I did manage to get 4 pair of leggings, a dress, a matching jacket and this top made.

What caught me by surprise was the limited number of patterns for tweens.  They have them for little girls and then adults.  She is in this weird state where she is at the edge of the tween size but not quite in the misses.

How I Did It

Everything came from my stash.  I remember buying this fabric for $2 at an estate sale (1 1/2 yd).  It is a light weight craft denim that won't hold up very long but I believe she will out grow it before it falls apart.

Someone on patternreview had already reviewed this pattern and said the bottom facing was too small and it was, so I extended it about 1/2".
Had to Add Width to Bottom Facing
I lost the pattern piece for the closure loop so I had to improvise.  I looked at the layout of the pattern on the instruction sheet and notice it was cut on the bias.  I used a 1" w x 6" l ruler to cut a bias strip.

Closure Loop
The pattern called for different trims and I had some but not in the colors I wanted.  I improvised again and used rayon embroidery thread and 2 different decorative stitches.  I backed the fabric with interfacing by accident - I meant to use stabilizer.  It took quite a bit of time to remove the extra interfacing.  The great thing about the interfacing though was there was zero puckering.





I cut a 1 1/2" wide bias strip for the neck binding. 

I am playing with making my own sewing labels with cotton twill tape.  I found out how to do it by looking at EasySewingForBeginners site.  I still haven't decided on a final label, but this makes it cheap to play while I decide.







The hem on this top is a hot mess.  The review I mentioned above did say she did not use the curved hem because it looked strange.

The first mistake I made was using a interfacing that was too heavy for the fabric.  I am not sure what caused my hem to "wave" - I wonder if this is what the other reviewer was talking about.  I don't recollect stretching it as I sewed.

At a distance you don't know the hem is doing the "wave" 😌. 

By the time I got to the belt I remembered to use a lighter weight interfacing.  Instructions did not call for interfacing the belt but I have learned over the years it helps to keep the belt from sinking into your rolls of fat (my niece is not at all fat).


Completed Top










Conclusion

All in all I do love this top.  I would like to make it again if for nothing else to test what went wrong with the hemming.  I really love using decorative stitches instead of ribbon.

What's Next

Still need to post leggings, dress and matching jacket.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin