Megan Nielsen - Opal

I am sooooo excited because I got an opportunity to test the new Opal pattern from Megan Nielsen.  Sometime ago I signed up to be put on their list of testers and I am so glad I did.  A number of weeks ago I got the email asking if I wanted to test a new pattern - of course the answer was a resounding yes.

I was immediately drawn to the paperbag waistline option.  I had some reservations about how it would look on me but I decided I would try it anyway.





How I Did It

I had 3 yards 44/45" of a fabric that has been in my stash for a long time.  It is a hot pink microfiber or a microsuede (100% polyester) I believe.  Within the last few years when I buy fabric I wash it before I put it in my stash, however, this fabric was bought before I started that.   I now have a hot pink sewing machine 😠 so if there is any question in the future I will pre-wash it first.

The pattern's size range is 14 - 30 (they have love for the big girl!) and I chose a size 22 and graded up to a 24 in the hip.

These are normally the pattern adjustments I have to make.

Shorten the Length 3 Inches

  • Increase the hip width - It was really easy to make this adjustment.  I just graded from a size 22 to a size 24 at the hip.
Graded from 22 to 24 at the Hip


  • Lower the front rise - I have a tilted waist line (higher in the back and lower in the front).  I lowered the front rise 1".  What I have learned to do by trial and error is to first outline the original waistline and lay it on top to make my adjustment so I keep the original shape of the waistline.



Lower the Front Rise 1"


Adjustment Folded to the Back

  • Raise the back rise 1" - OMG I did this modification on the side rather than at the back and did not realize the mistake right away.  I thought it was strange that I had to modify the pocket to fit the back (that should have been a huge clue that something was wrong).  I made the adjustment to the pocket, stitched it to the back, stitch the front and back pockets together, did the under stitching and only then did I realize the pocket did not lay flat and knew something was wrong.  It took me a minute to realize that I had raised the side rather than the back rise.  I did not have enough fabric left to re-cut the back so I cut off the adjustment which meant I did not raise the back rise.  The pictures below show the adjustment on the wrong side.


Modification Made to the Wrong Side (I removed it)

I also graded the pocket from a 22 to 24 at the hip.



Here are pictures of some construction steps.














This pattern has a generous amount of ease which I absolutely love, but trying to take pictures and not having the pants look wonky was hard.  I even had a friend help me by taking some of them.  I found the pants showed the best for pictures if I opened my legs.  I don't like the pose but I wanted to show how the pants really look.












Conclusion

I am in truly in love with this pattern.  I cannot adequately explain how comfortable these pants are.  The instructions are so detailed and it made it easy to sew.

I struggled with the decision to make the paperbag waistband because I knew I already had a sizable waistline and I questioned if it would be a good look on me.  I am actually pleased with how it looks and am glad I took the risk.

I do plan to make more pairs of the pants and I also want to make the longer shorts.

I bought a Megan Nielsen pattern last summer I believe and still have not touched the pattern so this is my first experience with this pattern maker and it definitely won't be my last.  I love that this pattern maker includes my size which translates into a few modifications and more time for sewing rather than a lot of time spent on pattern adjustments.

I can now wholeheartedly support this pattern maker because they include me in their size range and they make stylish and awesome fitting patterns.

What's Next

I have a couple Style Arc patterns I want to get to, but I have not committed to anything just yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch