Skirt Nirvana - Cashmerette Ellis Skirt

What can I say - this skirt makes me scream with joy.  This was supposed to be a muslin, but it turned into skirt nirvana.  The yoke lays perfectly against my back and there is no gapping in the back of the waistband - YES!

Cashmerette Ellis Skirt

How I Did It

This started out with the intention to be a muslin, but it fit so well there was no way I could call it a muslin - it was skirt nirvana (skirt perfection) imho 😁.

Fabric

When I saw this fabric at my local fabric store a couple of years ago I had to have it and I believe I bought all they had which was about 4 - 5 yards.  It's my happy fabric because it is so colorful.  It's a stretch denim.

Pattern Alterations

This really was supposed to be a muslin and one reason I chose it was because it had the yoke and the curved waistband like the jeans I made.  I figured if I could get the yoke and waistband perfected on this skirt then I could translate that to my jeans pattern.

I will admit it took some time to get there, but it was well worth it.  I have essentially one pair of purchased jeans that I wear.  I tried them on and realized the yoke laid flat against my back.  I made a pattern of the yoke and used that yoke to alter my pattern yoke

Top - Original Pattern Yoke,  Bottom - Yoke Altered to Fit me

I noted there was 1 1/4" difference between the pattern yoke and the pattern I made of the ready to wear yoke.  I drew lines about 2" apart and remove the difference from the inner curve  in 1/4" segments by slashing and overlapping.  I was nervous because the ready to wear yoke was flat and mine was really curved, but to my surprise it laid perfectly flat against my back.

I could not use the waistband from the ready to wear because there was gaping at the back.  So I did the same thing as with the yoke - made slash lines and removed 1/4' segments from the inner curve.  This took some hours because I would have to make the change and stitch the band to the waist and check the fit.  I had to repeat this process a number of times until I got the waistband to fit me.

Top - Original Pattern Waistband,  Bottom - Waistband Altered to Fit me

I ended up removing 2 - 1/2" (closest to center back)  segments and 2 - 1/4" segments removed from the inner curve.

List of Pattern Alterations

  • Removed 3" from the length
  • Removed a total of 2 1/2" from the inner curve of the yoke
  • Removed 3" from the inner curve of the waistband

Some Construction





























Finished Pictures















Conclusion

I absolutely love this skirt - it is comfortable and cute on me 😁.  It was so easy to sew and I love, love, love how they have you do the belt loops.  I will be making several more of this skirt.  I want to make one in a traditional denim.

What's Next

Working on another pair of jeans and still have not caught up with my postings yet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Love Notions Vivace Dolman #3

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium