The Cat Lady

Sometimes life happens and you find yourself asking God why or what good can come of a situation.  When these thoughts swirl in my head, I often listen to this song to help remind me that God is sovereign.  I don't have to understand or even like what He is allowing - I only have to trust Him!

About a couple months back I got a call from a friend crying and telling me she was in the hospital and wanted to go home.

She had a devasting medical emergency that has left her completely dependent on medical personnel for everything - even to help feed her.  This was my one of my responses to her situation.

Split Bars Quilt by Missouri Star Quilt Company

At the time I made the decision to make it it sounded like a wonderful idea, but after I completed it I thought it was a stupid idea and almost didn't give it to her (for a number of reasons).  In the end I decided she would get it.

How I Did It

The only thing I purchased was the backing fabric.  The backing wasn't the color I wanted, but I decided to get it anyway because I wanted to complete the quilt.  I already had Timeless Treasures Solid-ish jelly roll on hand, the fabric used for the border, and left over fabric from another quilt.

This is a pattern by Missouri Star Quilt Company called Split Bars Quilt with a video tutorial here.  I really love their simple quilt design patterns and this time I actually followed directions.  Because of the struggles with my last quilt posted here, I have been deliberately choosing quilt projects.

This time I wanted to try end-to-end quilting using my embroidery machine.  Because my friend loves, loves, loves cats I purchased Cats 2 from Designs By JuJu.  I made a couple of wrong turns because I started in the center.  I asked for help on how to reverse the beginning and ending of the design in Artistic Digitizer embroidery software and got the answer from the Janome Artistic Digitizer Facebook support group (amazing support group). 

I also tried using one of  the "hand" look stiches in my machine on the binding and I love it.  I will definitely be using more of these stitches in the future. 

Even with my mistake I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

  • Some Construction Pictures



I Only Needed the Center Marking

Designs By JuJu Cats 2



  • Some Finished Pictures










Some Machine Hand Look Stitching on the Binding




Conclusion

Overall I am really pleased with this quilt and I didn't have the same issue as with the last quilt.  I will continue adding quilting projects so I get very comfortable with quilting on my new baby.

This week when I go see my friend I will take the quilt home with me to wash it and return it when I go back.  Hopefully one day when she sees the quilt it will bring her some small measure of comfort and joy as she continues to heal.

What's Next

Cashmerette's Ames Jeans - they were cut out months ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman