Love Notions Vivace Dolman

I couldn't  continue to sew the LDT forever 😂 - I had to move on to another pattern.  Whenever I try a free pattern from a company and I like it, I like to purchase at least one pattern to support the pattern designer.  It didn't hurt that on Friday's Love Notions offer a $5 pattern - that is when I bought this one.



How I Did It

I am continuing to use fabric in my out of control fabric stash 😁.  One great thing about this pattern is you can use a knit or woven.  It has different pattern pieces for the knit and the woven

  • Fabric

    • Top

      • A rayon batik that I bought from Stylemaker Fabrics August 2020.  They don't have this particular fabric but the do have plenty of rayon batiks here.

    • Dress

      • A knit from my local Joann's that has been in my stash for maybe 5 years or more. 

  • Pattern Adjustments

    • Top (woven pattern)

      • I blended between a 2X and 3X
      • So why did I do a FBA for the top?  I never need this adjustment.  Based on the pattern instructions, I needed to do it.  Against my better judgement and against the fact that I made a different pattern from this company that fit fine without this adjustment, I made the adjustment 😏.  I only have me to blame for the fit issues on the top.
      • Because of the FBA the v-neck doesn't lay flat and it is too big in the neck area and the "V" is too low for my taste.
      • I shortened the length by 1"
      • Stitched down the overlapping "V" in the v-neck because the collar doesn't lay flat and it is too big in the neck area.

    • Dress (knit pattern)

      • I blended between a 2X and 3X
      • I shorten the length by 1"  above the waist  which also handles the sway back adjustment.
      • Instead of a 2" hem I did a 1.25" hem to effectively lengthen the dress 3/4".

  • Some Construction Pictures



I interfaced both of the collar pieces



  • Some Finished Photos
















Conclusion

I am really disappointed that I screwed up the top version.  I can't bear to give it away just yet because I love the fabric so much.  I know if I wear the top I will constantly fight to keep it from dropping too low in the front.  I know me well enough to know that I will not fix it.  Eventually I will probably put it in the give away bin.

I fought with the neck band both times and I don't know why.  For whatever reason, the instructions did not click for me.  I almost threw the dress away because I kept making mistakes and had to keep ripping out seams (I was tired and should not have been sewing).
 

What's Next

I need to finish up some corduroy Ames Jeans by Cashmerette.  Next, I really want to start work on the Isle Jeans by Chalk & Notch.

Comments

  1. I too had difficult time with the neck piece and was on the verge of throwing the whole thing away until I picked it apart one last time. Love your makes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the dress on you—perfect fabric. I have this pattern but not yet made up. For your top, would you consider doing a small triangle of fabric to raise the v-neck? One could either use self-fabric or even a knit in one of the colours to make it look like you are wearing a tank top underneath? Great review! Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep but I'm a lazy sewer and once it's completely I'm done

      Delete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin