Menopausal Sewing Session

The best way to describe my latest sewing session is menopausal.  My lack of understanding, lack of patience, and over the top aggravation/irritation can only be explained by menopause.

While sewing I kept thinking it was time for me to give up sewing, that I just didn't have what it took to make anything worthwhile.  I was trying to figure out how I would get rid of all my sewing equipment and supplies.  I survived this sewing session and I am so glad it is over.  Need I say there was no joy in sewing this wallet.


The pattern is pretty simple but menopause turned it into the something painful and irritating.

How I Did It


I saw this pattern online when I went to search for another pattern on Indygo Junction's website.  The pattern clearly states to read through all instructions before starting but of course I didn't have time for that.  It surely would have saved me time and frustration if I had.

I normally serge all edges of my pieces so they don't unravel and this project was no exception but it was a BIG mistake because of the binding.

I loathe store bought binding because it is stiff, they never have the color I need, and the manufacturer uses the cheapest fabric possible to make it so I make mine own.  The pattern said to use 1" strips if you make your own.  That meant after folding it was 1/4" which also meant that it did not cover the serged edges all the way, which meant I had to remove all of the serged edge thread that I took the time to do.  

To make my binding I cut 1 inch bias strips (cut on a 45 degree angle) and used the Clover 12mm bias tape maker to press the bias strip into its shape.



If I read the instructions in advance I might have figured it out before I started and made the appropriate adjustments. 

Pictures of the front and back before serged edge thread was removed.



Here is the next mistake I made.


I half read the instructions and did not realize by the time I finished the the last credit card pocket edge should have lined up with the bottom edge of the backing.  So I had to take it all loose and redo it and really read the instructions and study the pictures.

This is what it looked liked after I got it right and added the binding.  I used a Sulky 12wt Blendable thread to top stitch the top of the pockets and create the center line stitching.


I finally did get the binding around and over all the layers (14) and it was a challenge using 1/4 " binding.  The great thing that came out of this was I found out my Janome performed like a champ going thru all the layers.  I ensured I used a 100/16 needle, used my straight stitch plate, and the right stitch length.  I had been contemplating getting a semi-industrial straight stitch machine for projects like this.  I read an article from the Janome blog that helped me.

If I make this again I will probably forgo the binding, add some piping, sew right sides together, and turn right side out.  Below you will see the coin flap is not as wide as the coin pocket.  I saw it but was too frustrated to fix it.  No way was I removing the binding to fix.  I also thought about creating a something to camouflage it but again I just wanted it done and over.



The grommet was so easy - I manged not to mess it up.  Initially when I cut the hole for it, it was too big.  I ended up cutting it about 1/8" more because I could not snap the backing grommet in place.  Once I made the hole bigger it snapped right in place.



Putting in the elastic piece was also easy.  I did insert it in 3/4" on both ends rather than the 1/2" per the instructions.  I found it was too loose.  I did not like this method because I did not like the look of the closing after you stitched it in place - it did not look professional to me.  They did not have a picture showing the closing after the stitching.  Next time I may put a piece of decorative ribbon or something over it.



The plan was to throw this away after I completed it because I was so frustrated while sewing it.  After completing it - it did not look so bad even with all the mistakes I made.  It also probably had something to do with my menopausal mood swing nearing its end for the moment.


The one thing I did not like about the instructions was there were too many words.  I am used to reading a sentence or two, not a paragraph.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman