Oh How I Love Lekala Patterns

When I first started sewing garments making adjustments to the pattern was non-existent or extremely minor - not so these days.  If I want to sew garments now it is a major undertaking.  I love a good fit but hate the process to get there.

I have been wanting to make skirts to go with a couple of jackets I made some time ago and have put it off because I did not want deal with the needed adjustments.  I can't remember why now but I decided to browse the Lekala website and noticed a free pencil skirt after I had purchase a dress pattern.  I knew this skirt would be perfect for the jackets I had made.  Lekala to the rescue - I entered my measurements and got a pattern in just my size.

I absolutely loved the back pleating detail of this skirt.

How I Did It

The fabric I used was a 10 oz soft denim called Crossroads Denim.  The big hurdle I had to get over was printing and taping the pattern together.  I normally take the pattern to Kinko's and have it printed to avoid this but the last time it cost me over $20.

I knew I did not want to pay that anymore.  I printed the pattern, cut it with my paper cutter, and taped it together rather quickly.  I don't remember why I hated doing it before but this time it was quick and easy.

Once I printed the pattern, I re-traced the pattern onto pattern tracing paper and added seam allowances.  I could have paid 50 cents to add seam allowances but then it would not have been a free pattern anymore.

Skirt Back Pattern Pieces

Skirt Front and Waistband
The back pleat had me confused for a minute only because of all the lines they had on the pattern piece.  I took a look at the picture included with the minimal instructions and was able to quickly figure it out.

Skirt Back Wrong Side

Skirt Back Right Side
I added a 3/8" seam allowances which presented a dilemma for inserting a lapped zipper.  I had to do some creative sewing to get a lapped zipper.

Skirt Side with Interfacing Added for the Zipper
Pictures below show the finished skirt with the jacket that was made a couple months ago.  The initial plan was to show the skirt on my dress form only but the dress form don't have the bumps and curves of my body so it looked horrible on the dress from.  I had to end up attempting to take pictures of me modeling the skirt myself with and without the jacket.










Conclusion

This pattern was so easy and quick to put together.  The fact that I did not have to make adjustments made it even more wonderful.  Instructions for Lekala patterns are sparse so you have to already know how to sew or be willing to look at similar patterns with more detailed instructions.

Comments

  1. This is a very nice skirt indeed, which both fits and flatters you; perhaps it's one I might add to my extensive and still-growing library of Lekala patterns ...
    I actually prefer not to have a seam allowance on my patterns, but you might like to know that Lekala doesn't actually charge for a seam allowance on their free patterns,despite what the website appears to say. Also, if you buy a 'bundle', patterns either with or without seam allowance cost exactly the same - your choice - and the bundle units always seem to remain valid for longer than their stated three months. I've been an avid user of Lekala since the days I used to have to buy rouble credit via a third-party foreign exchange company - it's so easy nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments and thanks for letting me know about the seam allowance on free patterns. I am so glad I "discovered" Lekala. It makes sewing a better joy when I don't have to make modifications.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Enter comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Love Notions Vivace Dolman