Quick Summer Top

I saw this pattern on the weallsew website and decided to try it.  The designer is Daniela from onthecuttingfloor.


How I Did It

There are only 2 pattern pieces for this shirt and its simplistic style and the 2 pattern pieces are what drew me to it.  I had a cotton print in my stash that I used.

Front and Back Pattern Pieces With My Adjustments
The instructions for the binding were confusing to me and the pictures shown did not seem to match the instructions but I was able to easily figure it out.

I hate store bought binding because it is cheap stiff fabric and you may not find the exact color you need, so I made my own out of the same fabric as the top.

I cut 1 7/8" bias strips and used the Clover 25 mm bias tape maker tool to create my binding.  The instructions said you needed 1 yd of bias tape but I ending up needing about double that.

1 7/8" Bias Strips



My first suggestion is DO MAKE A MUSLIN.  I am a lazy sewer and I hate doing a muslin but I am really glad I did for this simple top.  I am about a size 20 on top.  Initially I cut the pattern out a size 20 at the neck and shoulder area and at the armhole side seam I graded up to a size 22 for my waist and hip area.

I tried the muslin on and realized there was a lot of ease built into the design.  There was a huge gap in the armhole area that would have allowed my bra and anything else under the shirt to show.  I went down one more size.

At the neck and shoulder area I cut a size 20.  When I got to the area of the side seam I cut a size 18 and graded up to a size 22 for my waist and hip area to get a fit to my liking.

When I tried on the muslin I noticed the area where the pleats are formed did not lay flat but I thought this was due to me not ironing the pleat area on the muslin (my excuse is it was late).  After I completed the top I realized that it did not lay flat even after ironing the pleats.  I think this will be an easy fix by taking in the pleat(s) just a tiny bit more.

Conclusion

This top is super simple and very comfy but i highly recommend you make a muslin before cutting your fashion fabric.  I don't think I will make it as a top again because it emphasizes how round I am.  I am really thinking about lengthening it and turning it into a dress because I do love the simplistic style and how comfortable it is to wear.

Also, instead of using bias binding I think I will use the my pattern pieces to make facings  pieces.  I will know for sure if I decide to make this top pattern into a dress.  The other change I would make when doing this as a dress  adding a zipper or small opening at the top so it is comfortable to pull on and off.

With no opening or zipper in the back I can pull the top on and off rather easily but if I had a hair style that I did not want to mess up I would not wear this top.

Will I wear this top YES, YES, and YES because I love the style even though it is not the best style for my body type.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch