Disappointed With Lekala 4531

When I saw this pattern in May 2016 I loved it and had to have it.  I ordered it but kept getting distracted with other sewing projects until this past weekend.  I was soooo excited to get started on this dress only to end up being disappointed and frustrated.



When I taped the pieces together the back sleeve seemed "wrong" but I figured once I put all the pieces together it would work out - NOT!

How I Did It


As I mentioned earlier when I cut out the back sleeve it did not look "right" to me but I figured once I sewed the pieces together it would work out.  IT DID NOT WORK OUT.

I wish I knew about pattern drafting but I don't so when I buy a pattern I expect it to be right and there is definitely a problem with this pattern.

The pattern piece on the right is the front pattern sleeve and on the left of this piece it has about a 2" width at the end of the curve to allow for a sleeve hem.  The pattern piece at the top left comes to a point at the bottom of the curve which doesn't allow for hemming of the sleeve.  The bottom left is my attempt at re-drafting the back sleeve.


Front Sleeve, Back Sleeve, My Attempt to Correct Back Sleeve

Top - Back Sleeve, Bottom - My Attempt to Correct Back Sleeve

I have another pattern that has a similar sleeve and I searched high and low but could not find the pattern,  Then I decided to make it sleeveless but realize because of the design of the design it was IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO so that's when I decided to "wing" it.  Did I mentioned I have no clue about pattern drafting?

I knew if I put the dress away I would probably never come back to it and it would eventually end up in the trash.  I pressed forward knowing I my version of the back sleeve was probably not good.  Today it hit me that I should have pulled out any sleeve pattern piece to draft with.  Any sleeve pattern would have been better than my attempt.

I am absolutely proud of my invisible zipper.  I have tried to put them in before and it was a failure (the zipper was fine but it was not invisible).  I used the Easy Zippers dvd by Janet Pray & Rosebud from Islander Sewing Systems to guide me.  My invisible zipper came out perfect the first time.

If you have ever struggled with inserting any type of zipper I highly recommend this dvd.  Since purchasing it I no longer struggle with zipper insertion.

Before inserting the zipper I added a 5/8" piece of interfacing to the zipper area (my seam allowance is only 3/8") for stability.

Interfaced Side Seam Zipper Area

Invisible Zipper (before ironing and sewing the rest of the seam)

Inside of Invisible Zipper

I created a simple and quick belt to match the green piping and the green specks in the dress.  I used a quilt weight cotton that I interfaced and added headliner to for a little structure.  Because the headliner is a little thick I added rows of top stitching with Sulky 12wt Cotton Blendable thread.

I really wanted to use a "traditional" belt buckle but I could not find the size and style that I wanted at my local JoAnns.  This belt was quick and easy but it is not perfection.  I was going for quick and easy.




Conclusion

I am really disappointed with this pattern and myself.

The pattern should have been drafted correctly and I should not have had to try and fix their mistake. I am also frustrated because I did send Lekala an email but have not received a response.  In the past I have sent an email and got a response within 24 hours but not so with this one.

I am disappointed in myself because I couldn't properly draft a sleeve pattern and I didn't think to use a different pattern when I couldn't find the one I was looking for.

Could I have done something wrong - it is possible but I don't think so.  I do believe the problem is with the pattern.

Lekala's instructions are weak at best but I really struggled with this pattern.  The instructions for the yoke was "jibberish" to me.  Normally I am pretty good and can figure it out.  This pattern should have been rather simple but it wasn't for me.

Because of the "bad" back sleeve pattern piece the yoke doesn't lay as flat across my neck area and the back doesn't lay as flat as it should.  It is wearable (I wore it today) but it is not something I am proud of.

I believe my love affair with Lekala has ended and that saddens me.  I really loved the idea of getting a pattern custom fitted for my measurements and not having to deal with making adjustments.  If I ever get a response to my email I will definitely reconsider.




Here is One of the Issues






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Love Notions Vivace Dolman

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch