Another Great Great

I am in to the great great nieces and nephews now and a new great great nephew was added to the clan about a month ago.  He has four names and I can pronounce each of them without a struggle 😁.  Meet Price - isn't he absolutely adorable.

Great Great Nephew

How I Did It

All the fabric used is 100% quilting cotton except for some of the applique pieces.  I did buy new fabric but only for the backing and the strips (I needed a small pick me up).

I have a boat load of good quality quilting scraps that I just can't part with.  A few months back I made masks for family and friends and that added more scraps to my scrap stash.  I decided I would use the mask scraps for this baby quilt.

I breezed through the embroidery once I picked out my designs.  Incidentally picking out the designs is where I waste a lot of time going back and forth on what I want.





Close Up



Each rectangle is about 7.5 by 10.5 but because the name rectangle had a lot of information that I was trying to incorporate I had to turn it vertical.  I did a trial layout and it sat for about 3 weeks.


I did not know what I would do to balance out the vertical rectangle.  Each time I would go back to it to think about it I immediately started stressing and then I would walk away.  I realized part of my problem was the middle line - the two rectangles surrounding the name.

I removed those and had a light bulb moment.  I decided I would use my strip and backing fabric to increase the size of my name rectangle to match the others.  Once I figured that out it was pure joy making this quilt.

It was pure joy because I allowed myself to ignore the imperfections and play. I tried some ruler work on this one using a straight ruler and my lines are almost straight 😀.  I did whatever came to mind when quilting the top and it was fun and freeing.

I always like to make a bib and burp cloth to go with the blanket.  The bib pattern is from Spoonflower an I believe the burp cloth pattern came from Sew4Home.  I eliminated the binding on the burp cloth.  The burp cloth has 2 pieces of thin flannel in it and the bib has batting.



Construction Pictures

Here are more pictures.































Conclusion

This was a fun project after I got over my initial hurdle.  There were several first in this project.
  • I ignored all my mistakes (I mean design features)
  • I tried quilting rulers on an actual project
  • I used a scant 1/4" seam - I will never go back to a regular 1/4" seam in quilting now
  • I used Aurifil thread for quilting

What's Next

I need to catch up my posts.  I still have items that I have not posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin

Love Notions Vivace Dolman