Elliot Sweater

This is the first time trying one of Helen's Closet patterns.  I really loved view A (high-low version), but was concerned about the collar because I know I don't really like high collars.  I decided I wanted to try it anyway.

As I suspected, I hated the first version with the high collar and gifted it to a friend.  Before I sewed the first version I ordered new fabric to make another.  With the new fabric I made view C (t-shirt version).  I was too scared to take the risk with view A again.

Version 1

Version 2

How I Did It

For version 1 I used a thick sweater knit that was in my stash purchased from my local fabric store some time ago.  For version 2, I ordered a colorful animal print sweater knit that I absolutely love.  I purchased this fabric from Stylemaker Fabrics.

I shortened the length of the front, back and sleeves 3 inches.  I took out 10 inches from the high collar on version 1.

I had to take the collar off twice and re-sew it trying to cut it down to an acceptable length for me but even after removing 10 inches it was still too much.  I just don't like high collars.  I truly believe the animal print would have been a better choice for version 1.

For version 2 I chose the t-shirt version and was pleased with the way it turned out.  With this version I applied knit stay tape to the collar, sleeves, and hem to prevent stretching.

Here are some of my construction photos.









Here are additional finished photos.









Conclusion

I knew I did not like high collars so it is not surprising that I did not like version 1, but at least I was able to gift it to someone who does love it.  I do like the pattern though.  The instructions are extremely detailed and clear.

I cut a 22 but should have graded to a 24 at the hip.  This pattern runs smaller in the hip.  I should have done a round back adjustment but I was too lazy - I am going for simple sewing these days.

I don't have plans to make another anytime soon.

What's Next

I had a cut pile of about 4 or 5 items and am down to 2 items left to stitch.  My plan is to sew Style Arc's Richie Knit Tunic Dress next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stylearc's Eme Dress

StyleArc's Londdon Woven Pant - Sheer Comfort

Total Comfort - Style Arc Kim Swing Top and Laura Knit Leggings

StyleArc's Tommie Jeans Skirt Is Singing My Love Language Today

Love Notions Crescendo Jeans

StyleArc's Logan Shacket - Version 1

A Labor of Love - Logan Shacket - Version 2

Be Mine Balloon Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium

Isle Jeans by Chalk and Notch

Amalfi Blouse by Sewing Patterns by Masin